Chapter 65 - I'll Still Follow You (1)

Chapter 65

"What explanation? I think the situation was pretty clear," Athlos Hiver said.

"You think? But I don't think so. Why would a sister avoid her brother?"

"I suppose you're clever enough to know why," Athlos Hiver said.

"Your relationship with your family is fragile. You didn't want him to report that you were in a bad condition? Oh my, were you worried I'd be blamed for it?" Esperanza smirked.

"Stop pulling my leg," Athlos Hiver said, "You know what I mean. I know you do. Why're you asking me?"

"Because hearing it from you assures me,"

"Assures you?" Athlos Hiver asked, mildly bemused.

"That you trust me," Esperanza smiled, and Athlos Hiver's heart once again was grasped by that playful-know-it-all smile. She laughed and shook her head, shaking off the tears that once again threatened to form.

"Now, don't you think you ought to explain me?"

"Explain what?" Esperanza asked.

"How do you know about the black magic?"

"I told you, I just happen to know certain things," Esperanza said, and now, Athlos Hiver could feel a sense of evasion from her tone. Somehow, rage was building inside her, though she tried to suppress it and keep her composure calm.

"And how do you happen to know these 'certain things'? Is it related to the fact that one particular day you took up your ancient language class and tried out its spell during nighttime?"

There was a moment of silence as the clatter of the carriage resonated. Esperanza was astonished, however, her countenance spoke none of it. She laughed to ease the tension.

"What are you talking about? Was there such a day?"

"Yes, there was. You'd told me that day that you were eager to perform the spell, and would try so at night. I believe you did,"

"Oh? I must've forgotten. You see, my memory's become quite fragile after I suffered my amnesia," Esperanza chuckled, "But why do you suddenly bring this up?"

"I just thought it might be related. After all, ancient spells can be dangerous too," Athlos Hiver shrugged, while Esperanza sighed internally. She flashed a smile.

"I'm glad you were worried about me,"

"I'm not. Well, if that's not the case, then how do you know about it?"

"I just know. There are just certain things I cannot share,"

"Right," Athlos Hiver nodded her head and wiped the tears, "You're so mysterious aren't you? You can't share anything, while you expect me to tell you everything? You want me to trust you, but you won't trust me?" She asked, looking at Esperanza for an answer. But the answer was already written in Esperanza's impassive expression. Athlos Hiver looked at her and her silence disbelievingly, waiting for her to say something. But there was only silence. Silent agreement.

"Fine," Athlos Hiver scoffed as she leaned back in her seat, "Right. I won't blame you. You did warn me at the start. But I guess I was a fool to think I could change your perception,"

The carriage stopped and they realised they had reached the Duchy. Athlos Hiver went down first, however, she extended her hand to help Esperanza down. Mildly bemused, Esperanza accepted it as she stepped down.

"You see?" Athlos Hiver asked after the carriage driver had departed, and there were only the two of them left.