-Season 1 End-

Chapter 68

"My name was Qing Lin," She began, "I don't recall my previous life except for this name

"My name was Qing Lin," She began, "I don't recall my previous life except for this name. All of a sudden, I found myself in this mansion, unnoticed by everybody and ethereal. I've wandered ever since. Today, I was wandering too when I saw a servant boy. Thinking I might find something fun, I followed him and it led me here," She explained with a tint of lies, while they were seated under a huge tree, providing them a comfortable shade despite the scorching sun. Alexandre proved to be a rational person, at the very least- giving her a chance to talk. Alexandre listened intently, and after a few seconds, could only bring himself to nod.

"But then..." He began, "You're a spirit. Nobody can see you. Why do I see you?"

"How am I supposed to know that?" Qing Lin shrugged, "Maybe..." She looked at him and bluffed to make the lie more convincing, "Some sort of connection? Did you know anyone who looked like me or had my name?"

"No," Alexandre responded.

"Nice," Qing Lin said, attempting to lean back against the tree, only to recall her ethereal body would pass through it, "Well, don't you have to go now?"

"No,"

"Aren't you the head of the family? I suppose you've got ample responsibilities to attend to?"

"I've," Alexandre responded, "But I'd rather not have them."

"Why become the head then? You had an elder brother, I suppose?" Qing Lin pressed further.

"Some things... can't be changed. They're just meant to be," Alexandre said, looking ahead into the trees, but his eyes seemed to drift into oblivion. Somehow, Qing Lin was sure she'd heard that before. But she couldn't recall when, and by whom.

"Hmm," Qing Lin nodded, while a silence encompassed them. But it was solicitous; there was no need to break it, because at that moment they felt so at ease, forgetting the differences between them. But a thought snapped Qing Lin out of this; she was meant to destroy him. It was now or never; her first step.

"Well..." Qing Lin feigned hesitation, "Do you have any friends?"

"I have. But they just claim to be so. If I lose my power, they'll no longer be what they call themselves; 'my faithful, loyal friends, promising to share weal and woe with me." Alexandre seemed to sneer.

"Then how about I be yours?" Qing Lin asked. Alexandre looked at her enquiringly and with a hint of suspicion.

"Hey, don't look at me that way. I mean, you've no friends, neither do I. And I'll not benefit anything from your position, my time is long gone. I feel quite lonely, roaming through street and street. So how about we become friends?" Qing Lin offered, and observing Alexandre's expression was sympathy, she knew she'd hit the right soft spot for him. There was no way he'd not take a soul as lonely as him, at least under his custody.

"Alright..." He seemed to hesitate, and Qing Lin feigned to beam up with joy. Success!

"My lord, my lord!" The servant boy came, panting for breath, "My Lord, it's beyond the time, you must attend to your duties right now! There's a sudden meeting, and all the nobles are fuming with anger and impatience---" Alexandre held up his hand for him to stop speaking. He stood up and looked back at Qing Lin.

"I think I've to go now," He said.

"Sure," Qing Lin smiled up at him. "I'll see you tomorrow. I know how to find you."

Alexandre nodded. Perhaps it was the rush of bringing his Lord, the servant boy, although perplexed for a second, was soon overwrought and focused on bringing his Lord back to the meeting, without asking about his Lord's strange behavior. Qing Lin stood up with a smile and walked back to Salvador's mansion.

When she entered the room, there was no one. She had wandered in the streets for some time, and it was almost sunset. By now, Salvador is always back at his home, focusing on his work. Perhaps, seeing him there almost every day made Qing Lin feel amiss for a moment, although she was quickly back to considering her situation, and the possibilities that lay ahead. 

But then, the thought of Salvador struck an unusual thought.

Salvador could see her, while others couldn't. Now, Alexandre could see her, but others couldn't. Whenever she looked at Alexandre, she couldn't help but feel a nagging sensation at the back of her mind, telling her that she must've known her at some point. But he doesn't seem to know her.

And as for Salvador, she indeed had found him familiar the day she laid her eyes upon him, but the sensation she felt towards him wasn't as strong as towards Alexandre.

While both of them had something in common- their animosity towards each other, the photo of the girl, and the way they understood each other's thinking process...

Could it be, they had some connection between them in the past?

But no, an even bigger question sprouted.

Could they have had a connection with her in the past?

-End of Season 1-