Chapter 16 - Marriage (1)

Esperanza blinked as she stared at her reflection in a dumbfounded manner. She was wearing a white gown, adorned with pearl, a necklace made out of pure diamonds, and earrings of sapphire. Her hair was let loose, and it draped over her shoulders beautifully. Her face was covered with a soft, white veil, making her look ethereal. There was no mistaking it. It was the appearance of a bride.

I'm.... getting married?

She didn't get it. She recalled turning drowsy and then slowly falling asleep. She recalled seeing a faint shadow looming over her.

Was that the princess?

She shook her head. Although they've spent less time together, she has got the princess quite well wrapped around her finger. The princess wouldn't do anything to harm her.

"My Lady!" Someone yelled behind her. She hopefully turned her head around, but to her disappointment, the person wasn't Stellina. It was an unfamiliar, yet strangely familiar maid with brown hair and brown eyes- an ordinary appearance.

"My Lady! Don't you know that it's your marriage, yet here you are, in a daze?" The brown-haired maid nagged as she pursed her lips. "Uh... Whatever. I can't blame you, since you're this beautiful that I too, was just about to be in a daze." She walked forward with happy, playful steps. Esperanza could tell that the girl was younger than her.

"Are you happy, My Lady?" The girl smiled warmly as she started setting Esperanza's hair into a bun, with a tiara. "You are finally getting married to the man of your dreams."

What the- Ah, no cursing. That's unladylike. But when did have the man of my dreams? Ridiculous.

"Why aren't you smiling, My Lady?" The maid tilted her head curiously while combing Esperanza's hair. "Weren't you grinning like an idiot yesterday? You seem so.... strange today. So distant and cold. Oh, what words am I spouting? You're too enthusiastic to be cold and distant. Blame me and my imagination."

Grinning like an idiot? Enthusiastic? What is happening? More importantly, where is Stellina? Maybe I could get some answers from her. After all, she's trustworthy.

"Where is Stellina?" Esperanza asked. The maid showed confusion on her face.

"Who Stellina? I've never heard of her." The maid replied. Esperanza's mouth twitched.

"My maid who had blonde hair and green eyes," Esperanza added, as she fisted her hand.

"Hahaha, My Lady, why are you joking again?" The maid giggled. "Aren't I your only maid? Besides, there's no person like that in the duchy." Esperanza was so shocked that she almost choked.

No.... person like that?

"What happened, My Lady?" The maid's tone morphed into a worried one. "Are you okay? Why are you acting so strange today?"

"Nothing... Just a bit dizzy again. What was your name, by the way?"

"My Lady, how could you forget my name?!" The maid pouted. "My name is Avyana Liane. Do you remember now?" Esperanza's face turned pale, and she felt like a very loud bell had been ringing in her ears.

Thump, thump, thump, thump

She could hear her rapid heartbeat while being too scared.

It can't be.

It could not be. She made sure to erase their existence. She made sure she was never acquainted with them. How could it possibly be?

Avyana Liane, a daughter of a merchant, is the most trusted and adored maid of Esperanza- the original Esperanza. The original Esperanza had saved the girl from burning in a fire. But she, Qing Lin, in Esperanza's body watched the girl mercilessly burn along with her father. She had replaced the girl's position with Stellina. She looked up at the girl, now her face filled with horror. The maid's face was indeed familiar- the memory of a young girl surfaced back in her mind.

YOU DAMNED NOBILITY!

She covered her ears with her shaking hands, trying to stop those voices.

YOU DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE! WITH YOUR GREED AND SELFISHNESS, YOU'RE BOUND TO BE FORSAKEN ONE DAY!

"No...." Her voice shook. Avyana tried to calm her and reached out her hand, however, Esperanza's jerked it back, surprising Avyana. "I......" she muttered.

EVEN IF I DIE, YOU WILL NEVER LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT! I WILL HAUNT YOU EVEN IF I AM RIPPED TO PIECES UNTIL YOU FEEL GUILTY TO THE POINT YOU HOPE YOU CEASE TO EXIST!

"I..." She stuttered. "I..... Get away... Stay away...."

Are you finally back to haunt me?

Somewhere in the world.

A girl who was smiling was juggling with a crystal ball. If anyone were to see her, they'd get infuriated to think it was an innocent little girl who didn't know how expensive the crystal ball was and was playing with it like a toy. But the girl's charm was enough to melt them down.

"Hahahaha" The girl laughed sweetly and rolled on her bed, the crystal ball clutched in her hand. "Those, those fucking idiots! They really thought that it would work?! My god... Just how many idiots did the damned goddess create in this world?"

When she saw the image reflecting in the crystal ball, her smile widened as she kissed the ball.

"It's gonna be fun... Watch me trample them again this time. You'll be with me soon....I'll make sure of it this time."