Chapter 24: Nightmares (1)

Chapter 24: Strange Dreams (1)

"Why_Why do you hate me so much?" A soft, cracked voice whispered through the bars of the cell. Tears refused to stop rolling down her eyes, her magnificent golden eyes. The girl coughed, and laughed, with the tears that fell from her eyes turning into small diamonds, glittering as the only source of light in the dark cell.

"It's alright if you don't love me...... But why hate me? What did I ever do so wrong? A child of dark magic? Born from her mother, with no right father? Adopted to live a golden life? Was that ever my fault?" She asked, her hands desperately clawing on the cell. Upon witnessing that the person she was talking to remained silent, her anger fused into her golden eyes, turning them crimson red.

"Didn't you love my mother?!" She screamed. "Didn't you love her? Then why did you refuse to accept the child she bore? Is the empire more important to you than her?!"

"It is." The person finally spoke, his golden eyes staring almost too emotionlessly at her. "The empire is my duty."

"The empire is the emperor's duty, not yours!" She screamed. But the man refused to say anything back, and her eyes turned back golden. She laughed.

"I should've known... should've known....." Her golden eyes shifted to black. Her hands which were trembling, gripped tightly on the cell bars, breaking them. The man simply stared at her, not a bit surprised. As soon as the bars broke, crystal chains bounded the girl's neck, and she stared in astonishment at the chains, then at the man.

"You! How could you!" There was no longer anger in her beautiful eyes. Only pain and heartbreak.

Esperanza woke up to face her childhood friend, Morto.

"Sup?" He winked, and Athlos Hiver pulled him back by the collar from his neck. He groaned. "Just what's your damn problem?" He asked her. The princess glared at him.

"Don't get too close to her." She said.

"What!" Morto stared at her, confused. "But she's my friend, why can't I?"

"I just said so!" The princess said and looked back at Esperanza. "You okay? You're sweating." She said and passed her a handkerchief. Esperanza had not even realized that she was sweating. She wiped her sweat, and squinted her eyes, as she tried to recall what she just dreamt about. She didn't quite remember. It was something about a girl.... with.....  Esperanza suddenly felt a sharp ache in her heart, as if an arrow had been pierced in it. She held her heart's place and took small, deep breaths. The pain calmed down, but her mind did not. It felt uneasy.

"My dear lady, you surely had a nightmare." The princess sighed. "This academy.... is full of evil.... no wonder....." She muttered, as her eyes scanned the place like a robot.

"What evil?" Morto asked her, and Athlos Hiver simply clicked her tongue.

"Get lost. Haven't you heard about 'the evil' ?" She asked.

"No, does something as strange as that exist?" He asked.

"You're so dumb." She replied to his question. Esperanza took the initiative to answer it.

"The evil is a type of demon, a rare demon. It is no surprise that the academy may be full of evil because the devil loves to feast on humans with high potential in magic. As you can already see, we have one overpowered saintess with us here." Esperanza said, her eyes sneakily glancing at the saintess who was sitting, chatting happily with her friends. "Its presence influences a person's life in many manners, turning them restless. For example, my nightmares that don't make even the slightest of the sense."

"Oh." Morto said, nodding his head. "No wonder I got hit by a flower pot yesterday."

"Not that way, you illogical idiot." The princess grumbled.

"Don't force me to show my middle finger to you, your highness."

"Listen students!" Their professor's high pitched voice echoed in the room, successfully grasping the attention of all the students. "This students had some trouble with her admission, and thus entered almost two days late. Do treat her well. Student, go ahead, introduce yourself." He smiled at her. The girl stepped forward, her pink hair over her shoulders in a single braid, her pink eyes reflecting the beautiful innocence of a young girl, her beauty taking the students' breath away. But Esperanza's mind stopped working at the girl's entrance, for she knew that girl too well.

"Hi everybody!" The girl said, her eyes constantly fixed at Esperanza. "I'm Paix, I hope that we get along well for the next four years!"

What get along well? Fuck off already.

The last thought was Paix's thought.