Chapter 17 - Marriage (2)

When the first person you watched die appears in front of you, who couldn't be scared?

Esperanza never had the intention to watch the girl die. She just wanted to ignore it all, run away. Alas, things never went her way. Callidus had saved Avyana from burning, however, he brought her to the duchy's dungeon and brutally tortured Avyana, that too, in front of Esperanza. The torturing was never supposed to take place because Avyana had turned into one of the duchy's people. However, Esperanza, which now meant Qing Lin had refused her this time.

"As the daughter of the Duke, you need to be as merciless as your father. This is just the beginning for you. You should not be scared just by mere torture. You should not feel guilty for this girl's death, otherwise, you'll be disappointing the Duchy."

That was what Callidus told her. Esperanza had wanted to run away from there. She screamed, yelled, kicked, hit, and cried like a mad child, when she watched Avyana's skin being slowly ripped apart, blood spraying out like a fountain. But Callidus didn't let her escape. He held her tightly, saying that he was training her as the next heir. Secretly, she had always held a grudge against Callidus for this and this was why they could never get along well. That day gave her no benefit, rather it left a deep trauma within her, a gruesome memory she never wished to resurface.

But now, she was just resurfacing it.

Unlucky as always, wasn't she?

"I said get away!" She yelled, her hands still around her ears. "My orders, GET AWAY!" Avyana flinched and took a few steps back, only to bump into something. When she turned around to look at that something, she realized that the something was none other than the groom. 

"Greetings to Duke Lev Letale Obscurité! May the Obscurité bestow its blessings upon you!" Avyana curtsied and greeted him.

"Hmm." He nodded his head and approached the girl who seemed to have lost her sanity. When Esperanza looked up at him, she could see him again. The boy with golden hair and citrine eyes, wore his usual navy blue jeans, a black-white T-shirt, a black jacket, and headphones hanging around his neck. (A/N: That's not what he is actually wearing. She's just hallucinating.)

Ah Wei.....

Lev pulled Esperanza into his embrace. Surprisingly, she didn't feel warm as she used to. It was like... a dangerous, cold breeze passed by her.

"Shh... Ranza, calm down. Nobody will harm you. It's our wedding today, dear." He whispered to her in a seemingly soothing voice. But to her, the voice was full of menace- and she found it nauseous in her state. She recalled who was the man now. Esperanza's former lover. And according to her memories, this wedding was a tragedy in her life, that would soon finish her.

No, you would harm me.

"Are you okay now?" Lev asked, his eyes glinting with cunningness. "You look so beautiful today... My Ranza..." He attempted to kiss her but she dodged his lips. He raised an eyebrow and she realized what she did. But she had to. She would not let any other man kiss her, even if it is not her body.

"Let's save the kiss for the wedding time, okay? I'm a bit dizzy right now." She smiled and caressed his cheek, but her insides were burning with disgust.

"As you wish." He nodded like an obedient puppy. "Oh, your sister is here." Esperanza's eyes widened. She could not see the real daughter's face through her memories, so she attempted to look at it but suddenly, blinding light hit her. It was so strong, that she felt as if her eyes were burning.

And her eyes opened to face her black ceiling.

"Ah...." She muttered as she slowly sat up, but her body was aching badly.  Suddenly,  a pair of hands helped her sit up and she stared wide-eyed at the girl with blonde hair- Stellina, her beloved maid, Avyana's replacement.

"My Lady, are you alright? I saw you sweating badly. Did you have a terrible nightmare?" She asked with concern in her voice. "Shh, My Lady, it's alright." Stellina wrapped her arms around Esperanza's neck (A/N: A one-sided hug). "It's okay, I'm here for you."

Esperanza choked back a sob. She felt... warm. She was not supposed to feel that way, then why? As the day she dies is getting closer.... things have begun changing inside her. After being so betrayed, how could she still have the nerve to trust someone? Indeed, she was an absolute fool, just like the princess.