Chapter 67 - I'm A Spirit (1)

Chapter 67

The next day.

Qing Lin walked along the curved path of the garden, encountering countless hedges and tall trees that looked down at her imposingly. To call it a garden would be wrong; it appeared more of a forest. It was yet another part of the mansion unexplored with its existence unknown. Qing Lin only knew of it when she saw the servant boy she saw the last time winding along this course. Knowing that he would only go to his master, Qing Lin decided to follow him

The servant boy faltered ahead, in the face of a back. He bowed reverently, and said, "My Lord, we've put every servant under strict watch. However, there's no sign of the spy as of yet."

"Who all?"

"My Lord, the servants under the headmistress are under watch, presently,"

"What about the headmistress? The butler? Carsian?"

"My Lord..." There was a note of hesitation in his voice, "My Lord, they're trustworthy, I don't suppose..."

"You don't know the way Salvador works. If he lets someone spy on me, he'll surely fiddle with the ones closest to me. Put them under surveillance, first of all. And you, of course, are under my surveillance."

"Yes, my Lord," The boy said, and there seemed to be a faint trace of bitterness and disappointment in his voice, left unnoticed. Qing Lin stared at the resolute back, the shoulders of which seemed to loosen for a second before it promptly turned around.

She was once again pestered by the nagging sense of familiarity, as she looked at his amber eyes. They stared at each other for a second, and Qing Lin was startled because it appeared that he was staring right into her eyes.

She turned around to check if somebody was behind her, but there wasn't. Maybe, she thought, He's just looking at a tree behind me. I'm just---

"Who are you?" He said, stepping forward in her direction.

Overthinking...?

"I think I asked you something," He said with an imposing tone. Qing Lin looked around, for a sight of a person to ease her anxious mind. But there was nobody, except him and her.

"Do I need to reiterate?' He asked while Qing Lin's anxiety increased.

No, it can't be me, not possibly me---

"Are you... talking to me?" She said unconsciously before she could stop herself.

"Is there anybody else?"

Qing Lin prevented herself from gasping, trying to maintain a calm composure. She could feel the adrenaline pumping, urging her to choose flight. But if she did, wouldn't she become suspicious? Wouldn't she be more likely to expose herself? She inhaled, her mind racking furiously. Flight was no option. She had just one advantage, which was enough for the moment.

"I..." She began, "I'm a spirit,"

There was a moment of silence, which seemed to last for the longest hour, whilst only the subtle rustling of the leaves, and the distant howling of the wind could be heard, like a faint, terrifying whisper. However, the seemingly long silence was broken by a sigh, and the trudging of a step forward.

"I thought you'd be smarter," Alexandre said, "But I guess not."

"Of course, you'll think I'm lying," Qing Lin, sounding more committed to her point, grateful for the silence that gave her enough time to frame a convincing story in her mind. Either way, her story was bound to be convincing, no matter what, as long as the first sentence remained the same.

"I am a spirit," She reiterated, "A spirit that has wandered this mansion for the past month,"

"I thought you'd be smart," He said, "And you thought I'd be stupid. I guess we both had contrasting expectations for each other, which apparently weren't fulfilled. But either way, the advantage's over me, and you have no way out. If you tell me honestly, I might consider sparing you," He said, taking slow steps forward. With each step, the dried leaves crushed under his foot.

"I am being honest," Qing Lin half lied, "That being said, you should spare me."

"Really?," Alexandre said, now barely an arm's distance away from her, "But I don't think so. That said, the decision is in my hands and what I believe. If I believe you're lying, then you're lying. And if you're lying, then I must kill you for infiltrating this place, shouldn't I? Intruders never leave my mansion alive."

"Try me," Qing Lin said, standing at her place, not backing off. In a swift movement, Alexandre's hand was raised and-- passed through her. It took a moment for him to register the absurdity of the situation as his pupils enlarged for a bare second before returning to their impassive state. He stepped back.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Just what you saw. Your words are your belief, while mine are false. Then think of what words you want." Qing Lin said.

For the next minute, they stared at each other, and Qing Lin realised, he was ready to believe her.