Chapter 18 - A Mistake (1)

All I saw was darkness. I couldn't hide my fear. I let the tears escape my eyes, my hands clutched tightly to my mouth. I didn't know whether I would be out. I don't know whether I would survive. All I know is that darkness will become my world.

I watched as the woman with chocolatey brown hair walked into the room, her hair so silky. Her perfume made me dizzy and so comfortable- it felt like I was back, sleeping on my mother's lap while she sang with her enchanting voice. It was my mistake to think this woman was a reflection of my mother. She was the opposite, a devil trying to lure me into its trap.

"My lovely Xi." She said, with gentleness in her voice. But I always failed to realize the obvious. The gentleness was just her teeth grinding. "Come out to me, your dear mother."

I tried to steady my breathing to ensure I did not let out a scream. If the woman finds me, then I'll die. I watched as she walked out of the room with great disappointment and let out a soft sigh of relief. But it turned into a scream as something grabbed me roughly and pulled me out under the bed. I met that woman's violent crimson eyes with utter fear.

"AAHHHH!" Paix / Esperanza screamed, her eyes opening to meet a familiar black ceiling. She blinked, and it took a millisecond for her to realize the situation. They had switched bodies again- and now she was in the body of her friend, Esperanza Ilamas Distruzione.

Fine, I'll admit it's a one-sided friendship.

She touched her neck and sighed. She only hoped that her friend would make it out of there. As she let her hand down, something caught the corner of her eye. She rolled up her sleeves and witnessed many scars on the body she was residing in.

Seriously, for heaven's sake, can she stop harming herself?

Being in her friend's body was four times, she knew well the condition of it. Sighing, she covered herself with the black blanket.

Whatever. It's not like she'll listen to me anyway. Beauty sleep comes first.

Stretching her arms, Paix/ Esperanza whispered to herself, "Good morning to myself and my love. Indeed _" Her voice faltered when she realized what she just said. She smiled bitterly and shook her head. She couldn't be engrossed in such child-life fantasies right now. After having a bath, she carefully selected the dresses- making sure they were the ones Esperanza frequently wore. She chose a lavender dress with white lacing because lavender was always Esperanza's favorite color.

After having her breakfast, she decided to wander around in the garden. It had always been her favorite place, serene and beautiful. As she entered, the entrance filled with yellow carnations entered her sight. Seeing them, she couldn't help but sympathize with Esperanza. Yellow carnations- after all, meant negative feelings, rejection, and disappointment. The girl was just too depressed.

As she walked around in the fresh breeze, she spotted someone unfamiliar. A girl with raven hair was sitting under the shade of an olive tree, on a wooden chair. When the girl turned around, Paix met her crimson eyes, startling Paix. The familiar image of the woman came by, filling her with terror. But it took a moment for her to realize that the girl wasn't her.

Is she.... the demon princess?

"Esperanza, you seem to have slept well." The girl said. Paix tried her best to hide her nervousness.

"Yes." She responded. She decided it was better not to sit, because then the conversation would stretch out longer. She wanted to escape badly. Because in her case, she cannot afford to mess anything up.

Think of an excuse to escape, think my damned stupid brain! *wrestling with her brain* Why the hell don't you work when I need you?

*Successfully flips over the brain and laughs with delight* K.O. of dumbness! I've got one! (A/N: She's not even realizing that she's insulting herself.....)

Paix/Esperanza suddenly fell to the ground, making the princess flinch. She tightly clutched her stomach and feigned to be in pain.

"What happened? Are you alright?" The princess rambled. "Is it garden sickness? That's impossible. Head pain? Leg pain? Knee pain? Arm pain? Stomach ache? Body ache? You're not dead, are you?"

Ugh, can't this girl shut up? I'm gonna have a headache.

"It's_It's cramps..." She said weakly. The princess looked away and blushed.

"Then go back, get well soon." The princess said and walked away, leaving behind a dumbfound Paix. 

THE HECK? Why for heaven's sake the girl blushed?!

She decided to disregard it and headed back to her Villa. As soon as she reached there, she saw Callidus and blushed herself. Callidus is- no, was her first love. She knew she could no longer hold feelings for him.

"My Lady, how are you today?" He bowed with courtesy. 

"I'm fine, no need for your concern." She said coldly. She knew that Esperanza didn't like Callidus, but she didn't know why. Callidus smiled and suddenly kissed the back of her hand. She blushed profusely- inwardly. Because Esperanza's body was not even capable of blushing.

"How can I not be concerned? I'm your forever loyal and faithful butler, aren't I?" He said, with a smirk. She jerked his hand away and gave him an angry look.

"Mind your manners. I'm going back." She hurried back in 'her' room and jumped into the bed. Filled with excitement, she punched the pillow.

Ahh, he kissed the back of my hand! 

But when the image of her mother came back to her, her excitement dropped. If only her love for him could be fulfilled... but that was impossible.

It's doomed to be impossible- a forbidden unrequited love.

A/N: Okay, let me clear things  a bit.

In Chapter 15, first both of them pretend to fall asleep. Then the princes opens her eyes and assumes that Esperanza was asleep (Esperanza was pretending to be asleep.) After thinking about her family and all of that, the princess falls asleep, this time for real. And then Esperanza drops her act of sleeping and is satisfied over the fact her task is almost completed. Unexpectedly, she too, somehow falls asleep then enters that marriage dream.

I hope it is clear.