Chapter 27: A New Bud (2)

Esperanza slowly fluttered open her eyes and stared at her ceiling. Her body did not move an inch. Everything was unfamiliar, even though she was unfamiliar to herself. She didn't remember who she was. She had no desire to know herself. Because something tugged at her heart as she thought over that question. As if like a warning, a warning that knowing herself might not bring her any peace of mind. Esperanza wanted to sit up, but her body refused to do so. Her arms trembled as she tried to sit up. Suddenly, someone helped her sit up straight. She looked at that person with blank eyes.

"Ah.... thank you." She muttered, her voice hoarse. The girl who helped her passed her a glass of water, but when Esperanza held it, it slipped out of her hands and shattered to pieces on the floor. Esperanza stared at the pieces for some time, until the girl spoke up.

"I should've known." The girl said as she sighed, her raven hair tied up behind. That's right, it was the princess, Athlos Hiver. "Your body is quite weak, after being in a coma for such a long time." She smiled helplessly at Esperanza and said, "What's wrong? Why don't you talk like you used to? Why don't you tease me anymore?" Tears fell started falling from her eyes as she sobbed.

"Why did you leave me for this long? Why don't you remember me? Why? Is it fun to torment me?" She sobbed and she hugged Esperanza, who was startled at the sudden action.

"Why did you save me?" She whispered, anguish filled in her voice. "If this was the consequence, I'd rather die at that time." 

"Miss, I don't know anything about what you're saying. Please, stop hugging me now." Esperanza said as she pushed the princess away. The princess smiled, tears dripping from her eyes. She wiped them away, bent down, and picked a single piece of broken glass. She slashed it through her wrist, startling Esperanza.

"What, what do you think you are doing?" Esperanza asked, feeling panicked as the dark black blood oozed out from the princess's wrist. Yet, the princess did not reflect any signs of pain. Instead, she took a single drop of her blood and let it fall on a strange peony mark on her arm. The mark glowed. So did Esperanza's, beneath her sleeves. One could see the light, although it was covered by sleeves. Esperanza was about to pull her sleeve up to check it out, but her body instinctively stopped. For a sudden moment, her body refused to obey her.

"You see that glow?" The princess smiled wryly. "It indicates we are connected. Even if you don't remember me, this is proof, that you once knew me."

"You......" Esperanza felt startled seeing the desperation in the person's eyes. "Who are you?"

"Oh, I guess I'm yet to introduce myself." The princess curtsied. "I'm Athlos Hiver, the princess of the demon clan, your, ah, friend." She said the word with such a pause as if it deeply stung her. The doors then burst open as someone rushed inside. A girl with curly pink hair abruptly paused in her place for a second, and a boy with flaming hair showed up behind her,

"Hey!" He gasped for breath. "Why didn't you wait for me? Didn't we make a deal to go together---" He paused as he stared wide-eyed at Esperanza, who stared back at him with utter confusion.

"W_W_What?" His words stuttered. Paix ran and opened her arms, as if ready to hug Esperanza, but was pulled back by Athlos Hiver through her collar.

"No physical contact, please. She doesn't remember you, it'll freak her out." She smiled ominously, sending Paix a shiver down her spine. She broke free from the grip of the princess, looked at Esperanza, and ruffled through her hair. Esperanza jerked her hand away, and Paix smiled.

"Still heartless, I see."

After the reunion of the friends, Esperanza was exhausted. After all, her unstable mind had been inserted with unknown information that she could barely bear. She came to certain conclusions. She was Esperanza Ilamas Distruzione, the young lady of the authoritative and prestigious Ilamas Duchy, who missed out on her coming-of-age ceremony. Her father did not show any affection towards her, her insane mother was either dead or alive. Rumor had it that she was a person who rarely talked beside her three friends, and she had never left her home for the past fourteen years. The past her had eyes that reflected the bottom of lifelessness, a quiet person who seemed to be silently hiding her misery. 

All of this made her wonder: What kind of person she was? She mused over this question for a long time, hoping even a tiny fragment of memory might sprout, however, she could still remember nothing. 

It was evening when somebody knocked on the door, and Esperanza allowed the person to come in.

"Lady Esperanza, I'm glad to see you once again." A girl entered, her enchanting green eyes reflecting a deep forest. Her elbow-lengthed white hair swayed as she took a seat. She wore a long white skirt, covered by a white coat with golden embroidery. On the left side of the coat, was a strange symbol embroidered. The girl suddenly reached out her hand and touched Esperanza's forehead. With her eyes closed, she muttered something under her breath and withdrew her hand.

"So you really don't remember anything." She smiled. "You must have been confused by my sudden arrival, without any prior notice. Pardon my discourtesy." She curtsied, yet in a different manner. It was the way the people belonging to the temple would courtesy.

"I am Saintess Margarita." She smiled. "We've already met twice before, but you don't remember it."