"Chapter Five"

"Please! We want you to live with us!" Xolo blurts out.

That stopped me dead in my tracks. I was like a deer in front of car lights: frozen in fear.

"Live... with you two?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah! Since you don't have a place to live... why not stay with us?" Jacob said with a reassuring smile.

"I have a home... kind of if you count living in a tent." I blurt out covering my mouth.

This made Jacob's and Xolo's eyes teary even more.

"Living in a tent?"

"Yeah..." I said almost quietly.

"But..." Xolo was speechless. He was trying find the right words.

"You have no where else to go... we want to lend you a hand." Jacob said, trying to make a recovery for Xolo.

"Don't you guys helped me enough? I do appreciate the generosity but I don't want the special treatment because I'm some "mystery girl" that your roommate was apparently looking for AND because I'm homeless." I went on.

The two were silent for a moment.

"Exactly. Now if you excuse me—"

"We want to help because..."

"—Save it. Don't even try to excuse that you're helping me because you pitied me."

Once again silence from both boys. I think they're really trying to find the right words and convince me to stay.

"Look even though I haven't known you long enough. But I want to help you because I want to be your friend." Jacob begins.

"And even if I wanted to find you: it was because I wanted to get to know you and your story. Not to use it for fame... but spread the word about homeless." Xolo continued.

I looked at the two. My mind was still racing and I can imagine Judy and Elijah screaming for me and crying. I had to go check on the kids... they look up to me as a big sister and role model.

"Amara?" Jacob said concerned that I didn't say anything but shed some tears.

I looked around then realizing: how am I going to get there? I am lost. I...

Face it, Amara... this what Betsy was probably talking about. I thought as the two were still standing side by side with worried looks. They didn't say a word and was awaiting for an answer.

"...Fine." I finally said in defeat. They made small nods before I walked back inside.

"And can you go change into his clothes again? I hate to sound rude but your clothes is a literal mess." Jacob said in a honest tone.

"Jacob." Xolo scolds for a moment.

"What? I'm just pointing out the elephant in the room."

He's right... I had these clothes for months and they are indeed old, worn, and filthy.. I nod as I went back to throw on the clothes I had on. I brought the guitar up to the empty room that I am supposed to stay in. I collapsed into the bed and... my god.

The bed was comfortable. More relaxing than the air mattress in my tent. I wish I knew a way back... I want some of my belongings. I wanted to see if the kids are okay...

Judy... Elijah... I thought of them once more. My sisterly instincts were still screaming but... I know even if I didn't meet Xolo and his sister earlier I still would chose my instincts when I would leave California. I looked around the room for a bit until I heard some knocks.