"Chapter Sixteen"

Xolo

My mind couldn't stop raving over what had happened to Amara. I can't get the image of seeing the girl of my dreams badly injured and unconscious out of my head. But the only thing that's reassuring is she's awake now.

I feel bad for not only her... but the show. I know the crew didn't mind me holding back because I can't leave my girlfriend who's badly hurt and in the hospital. I just couldn't...

"Xolo." Jacob said my name.

I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Yea?" I responded.

"I was asking how you holding up?"

"I'm..." I couldn't find the right words, "still speechless."

Jacob frowned.

"I don't blame you. Amara is in the hospital." He paused, weakly smiling, "But hey think about it. She did get herself in the mess to protect the kids."

That is true. She did take the beatings just to protect the kids that look up to her. It was almost heroic. I only nodded for a moment until the front door opens suddenly. Mama had appeared.

"Mijo, I've heard everything! Are you okay?" Mama paused, "Is she okay?" She asked in concern.

"She's fine, Mrs. Ramirez. She woken up earlier but she has to stay three days for the broken ribs and other injuries she took." Jacob jumped in.

Mama weakly smiled. She held onto me tight. Thinking about it: I did meet her adoptive family... it would be fair if she met mine — just not yet.

"I'll leave you with your mom." Jacob paused, "if you need me man, give me a shout."

I weakly smiled as Jacob left.

"So... Mijo."

"Sí, Mama?"

"I know I've asked: but are you okay?" She asked once again.

"To be honest... I feel depressed." I admit, "The love of my life is in the hospital but since I'm not intermediate family, I can't be there for her."

I want to be there for her. I want to be a supportive boyfriend that she needs right now. But I have to follow the rules of the hospitals... I hate having to see her like this... Even though knowing Amara she went through it all. But smiled through the pain.

"...Tell me." Mama said as she saw I was daydreaming.

"About what?"

"How you meet her again?"

I can see what Mama's doing: she's trying to change the subject by asking how I met Mara. Bringing up the good memories and replacing the negative thoughts.

"Well... I saw her but didn't officially meet her... I wanted to find her and strike a conversation." I begin, "Even though Jacob and Oshun thought I had love at first sight."

I'll have to admit even though I saw her that day: I did think she was pretty but that was about it. I didn't go cheesy "damn she's so pretty, I want her to be mine," Mama softly laughed.