Chapter 16

Théodora

I wake up with a heavy arm around my waist. "Hey." Ash says with a small smile on his handsome face, when I turn his way.

You would've think he slept too, but his brown hair is just naturally a mess. It suits him though.

"Hey." My voice comes out a bit raspy, from the screaming I've been doing yesterday.

"How are you feeling?" Ash asks and cautiously hugs me a bit tighter.

"Thoroughly fucked." I laugh but he doesn't laugh with me. "We didn't hurt you, right?" He asks with worried eyes.

"I feel a bit sore, but not hurt. I-I liked it." I say sheepishly. It's the truth. They punished me with no remorse, but it didn't hurt. Well... it did hurt, but it wasn't extremely painful. The opposite actually. Their roughness only made me hotter. Wetter. Wanting them even more.

He gives me a relieved smile. "Good. I wanted to make sure you're okay before I leave." His words make me a bit sad. I don't want him to leave, but I have to get back to work too.

I give him a smile back and throw my arms around him. "I'm okay." He kisses me softly. It makes my body tingle and my toes curl.

He breaks the kiss way too soon, which makes me pout. I wish I could stay here in bed with him, all day.

"I'll see you soon, gorgeous." He says and leaves the bed. "Oh, and happy birthday." He winks before he leaves the bedroom.

I sigh and stretch my body. Twenty-five... I hate my birthday. It reminds me of the parents I never had.

It made me frustrated and upset when I was little and started to understand that my living situation wasn't normal.

I used to lie in bed until late and tried to figure out why my parents dumped me. There are no records since they literally just dropped me at the door of the foster home.

No note... no nothing. Just me in a basket. How fucking cliché.

There were couples who were interested in adopting me and most of them seemed really nice, but they all never showed when it was time to pick me up.

I felt myself getting insecure and unwanted. The foster home felt bad, that every time I and they got our hopes up, no one ever went through with it.

So they decided it would be better if I just stayed at the home until I became eighteen. I agreed with their decision.

I was forced to grow up quick and fend for myself. That's why I'm so independent and in no need of friends.

I'm glad I have Ivy and her family, don't get me wrong. But I know I don't need them to survive.

I never really celebrated my birthday until I met Ivy and I'm pretty sure she has something planned for tonight. She doesn't have to go out of her way for me. I'd like a quiet night too, like watch a movie and drink some wine.

She doesn't. She always wants to go out or throw a big dinner party. Like I said, she's my only friend so all the people she invites are not relevant. She means well so I'll just stick with it for one day. My birthday.

I get up and get ready for the day. After I took a shower, I decided that I want to do something a little more extravagant than normal.

I put on a burgundy dress, which I would normally wear if I go out, but add a black blazer so it's still kind of professional looking.

I could take the blazer off if Ivy indeed threw me some kind of party. Saves another trip home to change.

The bite marks on my neck are almost gone. You can only tell what they are if you look up close, so I'm putting a little concealer on them just in case.

I straighten my hair for once and go a bit more heavy with my make up. I finish it with bright red lipstick and put on some black strappy heels before I leave for work.

-

"Good morning." The woman I've never seen before says chirpy. Her jet black hair hangs on her back in a braid. She's wearing a denim dress and black biker boots. I like her already.

"Good morning, I'm Théodora. You must be the new receptionist?" I ask and join her chirpiness.

"That's right. I'm Caitlyn, nice to meet you." She answers and we shake hands. "I'm in marketing on the 13th floor. So if you ever need me, that's where I'd be." I tell her and exchange smiles before I head upstairs.

When I enter my office, I'm welcomed by a big bouquet full of roses. They're beautiful. I pick them up and look for a card. When I find one, I open it up and a smile immediately appears on my face.

Happy birthday, beautiful.
I'll see you soon.
- Azrael

I smell the roses and place them back on my desk. It's such an Azrael move to buy me flowers for my birthday. Such a gentleman.

The day goes by quickly. I haven't seen Azrael in the office today, so I guess he had other business to attend too.

It makes me sad though. I wish he was here. He always keeps an eye on me and compliments my work. I normally wouldn't have cared what someone thinks about my work. But these men make me feel vulnerable and I need some kind of confirmation from them.

Our new projects are going just fine and I decided to call it a day. I go back to my office to close it up and disappointment hits me when there's no one there to surprise me.

Ugh, what are they doing to me? I was never so dependent. Completely fine with being on my own. But now that I had a taste, I don't want it any other way.

I close up and head downstairs. Caitlyn's waiting for the elevator and glances towards me as she sees me approach. She gives me a warm smile, which I return.

"How was your day?" She asks at the same time the elevator opens. "Good. My projects are going great so I've got nothing to complain about." I say as we enter the elevator. "What about yours?"

"Hectic." She laughs. "The former receptionist and I have total different work methods. So I'm still reorganizing stuff and doing what I'm supposed to do as a receptionist. It's a lot."

"Well, if you ever need time to relax or clear your head with bullshit. I'm your girl. We could have lunch together or hit a bar after work." I offer.

I like this girl. She seems more like my type of person and Ivy always drills me to make friends at work. So here I am. Trying.

"Yeah, I'd like that." She says with a big smile. "Do you have plans right now?" She asks bluntly.

"Uh... well, not that I know of." I say hesitantly. She gives me a questioning look. "Oh, well maybe some other time then." She says and leaves the elevator since we arrived at the main floor.

Come on Thé, don't be so awkward and just hang out with her.

"Wait!" I say as I hurry after her. She turns around and waits for me to finish my sentence.

"The thing is. It's my birthday and my best friend normally surprises me with some kind of party. I haven't heard from her yet so I guess she's still planning it. What I'm trying to say is, no I don't have plans right now." I rattle.

"It's your birthday?!" She says surprised and loops her arm through mine. "Then we need to celebrate two things. You and us becoming friends." She smiles and we leave the office.