Chapter I : Mauve Eyes

Red Maple

Saturday, 09.36 AM

Hey, guys. Sorry for not posting a new poem today. I just had a rough start of the day, so I needed to loosen up. Anyway, I'm heading to Sangonomiya Cafe now. If any of you haven't heard of it yet, it's a great cafe at the corner of Roxy St. They sell coffee and snacks, freshly brewed and baked. I always visit the cafe whenever I feel down. You should, too!

Red Maple

Kazuha pocketed his phone after pressing 'post' button on the forum. The bus he was on had reached the destination. He lined up along with the other passengers, and left the bus quickly before letting others get on it.

The sun was scorching hot today, and he had to cover his eyes. Cars and buses were crowding the road, honking at everything that passed them. Smoke were raising to the sky along with the smell of random things that tickled his nose playfully.

His mind wandered to the uneventful morning just now.
It was still fresh on his mind, and he could repeat it in an endless loop like a movie-papers were scattered like falling petals in dry season, time was slowed down as the weightless pieces glided in the quiet room. Kazuha's ruby eyes were wide open, fixed at every piece of white sheet raining him down.

"How many times have I told you?" The man in front of him shouted, hands tearing more paper from a small book. "STOP WRITING POEMS!"

"But...." Kazuha's entire body was shaking furiously.

"You are just gonna waste your time! You have better things to do than doing this!" The man dropped the book, and turned around in a flash that his expensive brown coat was flapping like wings. "If I see anymore of your poems, I'm going to burn them all at once! Did I make myself clear?"

Kazuha crawled on the floor, picking his destroyed book and hugged it close to his chest. With a soft voice, he said,

"Yes, Sir." Yes, Sir.

Yes, stupid Sir.
Why can't I do what I like? Stupid Kaedehara name.
Carefully, Kazuha jumped to the other side and continued his walk. Those memories made his chest stir with anger again. He needed a glass of iced-coffee and a small talk with his favorite bartender to ease his mind.

The young man took an expert turn when a familiar building came to his sight. It was small, with seashells and other ocean-themed decorations on the walls and windows. Unaware people would think the shop sold fishing ornaments, but Kazuha knew full well that it was a coffee shop that he visited every now and then.

The bell on the door rang when he opened the door. A familiar scent of sea and coffee mixed into one. Soft jazz music was playing on the background. It was a little empty as it wasn't lunchtime yet. People usually crowded the place when it was lunchtime or snack time.

"Hello! Welcome!" Someone greeted him cheerfully. "Oh, Kazuha!"
Kazuha quickly found the person when said person tackled him into a tight hug. He smelled of coffee and sugar, also a little bit fruits. He might have just finished concocting a new brew in the kitchen. His brown hair was smeared with flour, just like his olive green apron.

"Hello, Gorou," he said, tapping the young man's back. "How was your day?"
"Good and it's even better now!"
"Gorou, he just arrived! Give the poor guy a break!" someone else protested from the counter.
Kazuha gave the girl a small smile. "Hey, Kokomi. How's it going?"
"Just the usual," said the girl. Kokomi was pretty and always dressed in pink or blue. She looked like she was dressed that way to match the cafe theme. She was the owner of the cafe, inheriting it from her parents. "Gorou, it's about time you free him."
"Can't do and won't do." Was Gorou's answer. His cheek was brushing Kazuha's now. "You don't know how much I've missed you! Oh, my favorite customer!"
Kazuha chuckled. "Oh, I've missed you, too."