Chapter XVI : Missing

"Kazuha!"

His eyes went up, focusing on Gorou's figure who was running frantically around the counter. His friend quickly reached his place at the doorway. Both hands were gripping his arms tightly. "Hey, what happened?" he asked, panicking. "Did something happen? Tell me, Kazuha!"

Kazuha tried to find his voice and words, but his mind was a mess. He couldn't even remember how he got to Sangonomiya Cafe uninjured.

"You didn't reply to my texts and didn't answer the phone for a whole day!" Gorou was checking him left and right. "I was so worried! What happened? C'mon, just tell me!"
"I..." His brain finally worked. "I fought with my dad. Again."
"Oh, man." Gorou let him go and took a step back. "How's the situation now?"
Kazuha blinked. "Tomo helped me talk to my dad. He was able to slap some thought to him." "What? How?" Gorou's mouth was a perfect O.
"They were talking. And then... everything was... sorted out."
"But why are you like this? You should be happy, right?"
"Tomo told me. 'Don't fall in love with me'."
"What?" Gorou snickered. Then, he dragged his friend by the hand and led him into a stool by the counter. "Sit down. I'll make you some drinks."
He did as he was told. As Gorou was busy making something, he checked on his phone to see if Tomo had replied to his text. There wasn't anything from him.
"Hey, tell me about it." Gorou returned with a glass of iced-tea-a quick drink to whip up. "Why did Tomo say that?"
"I don't... know?" Kazuha held the cold glass, feeling the chill transferred to his palm. His eyes were fixed on the ice cubes and a tiny mint leaf floating in the tea.
"Did you say anything to him before that?"
"I hadn't told him anything." The white-haired young man stirred his tea with a steel straw. "It was as if he could read my mind."
"The heck is wrong with him?" The barista rubbed his head in confusion. "Have you tried contacting him?"
Kazuha nodded. "But no reply."
"Damn! What the hell happened to him?! Speaking gibberish like that. If he was here right now, I would have punched the shit out of him! That guy always makes me annoyed. Doesn't he know that he is the luckiest bastard ever that you like him? I mean, I would even trade the world to be in his shoes-ahem! I mean, he shouldn't have said something like that."

Kazuha slumped on the counter. His cheek was against the cold surface, eyes at his drink. "Maybe he was just tired? Like, he had a lot on his mind and he was exhausted from campus and stuff, so his mind was playing a trick on him. Words were jumbled and no coherent meaning."
"Whatever the reason is, he's nuts and I'm still going to kick his balls and punch his face flat. Please forgive me for the person I'll become when we meet." Gorou's voice was clear with anger and frustration.

"I'll wait here for him. He always visits, doesn't he? If you don't mind."
"Sure, no prob. But don't you have classes today?"
"I'm still on sick leave. I lied, of course." "Well, if you need anything, just tell me."

Kazuha hummed an agreement.
For the umpteenth time, Kazuha checked on his phone. Still no reply. His message was sent, but it wasn't read. He didn't know Tomo's friend, so he couldn't ask. And it snapped him out. Even after about a month of knowing this guy and declaring that he had fallen in love with him, Kazuha still didn't know much about Tomo. Where he lives, what campus he goes to, his favorite football club, or his siblings. He only knows the Tomo that appears in front of him and falls in love with the Tomo that he believes him to be.

He felt like a liar now.

Maybe, just maybe, when they meet again, he can ask all of those questions. He wants answers.

He looked at the clock on his phone. It was almost lunchtime, but Tomo hadn't shown up. Did he decide to be absent today of all day?

"How is it?" Gorou asked from behind the counter, holding a plate.
Kazuha shook his head. "Not a single reply, and he hasn't shown up."
"I'm taking a lunch break. Gotta eat before lunchtime. It's gonna be real packed. You wanna come with me? We have some leftovers in the kitchen."
"No."
Gorou looked pained, but nodded. "Alright, then. I'll be quick."
His friend left to the kitchen which was located behind the counter. Another person, who was dressed as a cook, took his place-Kazuha didn't know him since he only ever communicate with Gorou and Kokomi. He ignored the man's confused stare, still perched on his stool. His iced-tea was now just ordinary tea.
Gorou returned in ten minutes, bringing a bottle of mineral water. He shouted to the cook, "Hey,
I'm done. I'm returning to my post."
The cook gave him a thumb up, and left to the kitchen.
"Kokomi said, she wouldn't be able to afford another worker for the morning shift," Gorou explained as he shoved the bottle into the lower counter. "So I and the cook have to change places when one of us is having lunch. Other workers will arrive at three for the evening shift." "I understand."
"Are you hungry? I'll whip something up if you want."
"Not hungry."
"What if Tomo doesn't come today? Are you still going to wait for him?" There was a serious tone in his voice. As if Gorou was too worried about Kazuha's wellbeing to even care about Tomo coming or not. Kazuha realized, they weren't very good friends. Only acquaintances. Gorou even showed his dislike to Tomo for whatever reasons.
"Maybe," he answered, confused. "If he doesn't show up until three, I'm going home."
"Kazuha," Gorou called, "I'm worried about you."
Kazuha decided that he didn't need to look at his friend's eyes. So, he looked down and bit his lower lip.
"But if you think that this is the best, then I'll go with it. I'll stay with you no matter what."
Kazuha felt a warmth enveloping his free hand. He looked at it, finding Gorou's hand on top of it.
It was a simple, yet tender movement but it was enough to comfort him.
"Thanks." He smiled a little.

People came and left the cafe in five hours. Every time someone arrived, Kazuha would look directly at the door and be disappointed that he couldn't find Tomo there. More people came, more people left. Gorou was busy with orders that he barely had time to check on Kazuha. Though when he did, he flashed him a sad smile.
Tomo didn't show up even until past three. No sign of him. Nothing. As if he had disappeared from the face of the earth. And it left a deep hole in Kazuha's heart.

"Kazuha, let's go home." Gorou wasn't wearing his uniform now. He was already wearing his jacket and carrying a bag. "My shift is over. Others will take my place and I don't think you can stay here longer."
His eyes were hot and teary. Kazuha slid down the stool, and gave Gorou a tired smile. "Ok. Let's go home."
"I'll walk you home."

For once, he felt like he really needed Gorou's company so bad that he almost hugged him. He didn't, though. He only let him hold his hand and lead him out of the cafe.