Chapter XIX: A Familiar Embrace

Thoma and Ayaka arrived at the cafe right on time. They were wearing matching red jackets as if they were going on a date. Ayaka was the first to greet Kazuha when said person stood from the stool.

"I was a little unsure as to why you suddenly invited us here," she admitted. Her face showed deep concern while glancing at Thoma who bit his lower lip and shoved both hands to his pockets. "But if it's you, I know that something important is going on."

"Well, if Ayaka said so, then I'm sure it's fine," Thoma stated while shrugging.

Kazuha nodded an understanding. "Have a seat. I have ordered some refreshments for you. It's on me."

"And I'm going to be your private waiter," Gorou added from behind the counter. He looked tired today, just like Kazuha, since both of them left almost at midnight yesterday.

"Much appreciated, Kazuha and..." Ayaka sat down next to Thoma.

"I'm Gorou. Your local barista and waiter. I'm also Kazuha's number one bestest friend ever." Gorou flashed a bright smile that brought a stab to Kazuha's heart. His confession last night was still fresh on his mind. He felt that the word 'friend' he said was a lie.

"Alright, Gorou." Ayaka nodded.

"So, what is happening?" Thoma rubbed his blonde ponytail, looking restless. "Is there something I can help in specific? I can help you with assignments, if you want. I'm not that smart, though. But I can guarantee a B. Or I can help you choose an outfit for an upcoming date! I have great taste.

Right, Ayaka?"

Ayaka laughed softly. "Sure."

Kazuha waved a hand in front of his face. "Well, we only want to ask about Tomo."

The air around them dropped in a sudden. Kazuha could feel the cool air conditioner right on his skin. The jazz music in the background and people's chatter became louder, almost like random white noises that circled the four of them.

"Tomo?" Thoma blinked and raised an eyebrow. "What's with him?"

Gorou placed two cups of hot mocha on the table for Ayaka and Thoma. "He hasn't shown up for a few days. We wonder if something happened to him. He's our friend, after all."

"Oh-ho!" Thoma's hand was trembling when he held the cup. He sipped the mocha, trying to look normal but Kazuha knew well that he was hiding something. "Why didn't you ask him yourself?"

"We did," Kazuha replied sheepishly. "But he didn't answer. You know something about him, don't you?"

"He's making us worried that we can't sleep well at night," added Gorou, placing two plates of croissants for the special guests. "Would you like some syrup to go with these? Or maybe something else?"

Thoma laughed nervously. "You're too kind..."

"You and Tomo go to the same campus and I see that you are good friends." Kazuha gave Gorou a look, earning a nod from the later. "I never got his address, so I don't know where to visit him." "Wonder what he's doing right now." The barista put two cups of cold mint jelly for the pair.

"W-whoa! It's a lot of... treats..." Thoma laughed even more nervously. "I... feel like being bribed."

Ayaka exhaled loudly and spoke, "Tell them, Thoma. They have the right to know."

"Oh... Right." The tallest of them shifted his gaze up, looking at the menu without really reading it. "So, Tomo is... He hasn't attended classes for a week now. Because he..." "He..." Kazuha got impatient.

"He..."

"He's at the hospital." Ayaka was the one to break it.

"What?" Kazuha studied her face, trying to find anything that could be categorized as a joke or anything. "What happened to him?"