Chapter XVIII : Fell in Love

He was about to leave the seat when a hand pushed him back. Kazuha looked up, staring at Gorou's blue eyes.

"Relax, man. The cafe is all ours now," his friend smiled gently.

"But you... You wanted to leave, didn't you? I shouldn't hold you back. I'm going home now."

"Nah, I don't really fancy eating at that restaurant. Too classy for me." Gorou sat next to him and placed both arms on the table. His head was resting on them. "Phew! Today was crazy!"

"You should go home and rest. I should, too."

Gorou glanced at him. "So you'll stop waiting for him?"

"He won't come. I just know it." Kazuha stared blankly at the window. "I'm just a fool for believing him."

"He's the idiot one here." Gorou's comment was sharp and it sounded like he had prepared to say it since a long time ago. "He should be feeling lucky. He has your heart all for himself! Man! There are people trying hard to get your heart out there, to be your lover, to hold your hands, to stay by your side forever. And this guy didn't even do anything, but he still got what those people want anyway! I mean, what's better than being loved by you?"

Kazuha felt a blush creeping on his cheeks. "What's that supposed to mean? You're exaggerating!"

"Maybe I am, maybe not." Gorou half-shrugged. "But this guy is really weird. Do you still remember when you first met? He asked you to be his partner for this college project, but if I'm not mistaken, college hadn't even started back then."
"He said the project was for his final term."
"Even if I don't understand much about college, it's still sus, if you ask me." Gorou straightened up, and faced Kazuha. "What do you say if we pay him a visit?"

Kazuha shook his head. "I don't know where he lives."

Gorou's eyes went twice wider. "What? You don't know where he lives? And I thought you two are dating?"

"We're not dating." Kazuha sighed. "It's just that he always shifted the topic when I asked about his address."

One of Gorou's eyebrows was raised. "That's so... suspicious. It's like he's this kind of person that has double identities or such and does bad stuff...

"He's not like that." Kazuha waved a hand in front of his face. "He's just... different."
"One sec you said you'd stop believing him, one sec later you simp for him."
"What?"

"What?"

Gorou huffed, then rolled his eyes. "Admit it, Kazuha! You're just too in love with him that you're blind! Even your way of thinking is somewhat unclear! I've known you for ten years now and I know when you're too preoccupied with something that you ignore anything else. It's that side of yours that irks me as your bestest friend, sometimes."
"What about it?" Kazuha didn't know what force was driving him to stand up, towering over Gorou with his fists clenched. Head bowed, and lips were trembling. "What if I am just like what you said?"

"Well, it's not bad. Really... Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Even me. I think... You just need to be true to your heart and-"

"You don't know what it feels!" His voice was shaking, just like his whole body. His eyes were bleary now. And all he could feel stirring in his chest was anger. "Because you've never fallen in love!"

Gorou suddenly slammed the table hard and stood so fast that his chair almost fell over. His face hardened. His brows furrowed, and blue eyes sharpened as if he was facing his mortal enemy now.

Even one corner of his lips was lifted, forming a slanted arch that spoke of hostility.

"You think, I've never fallen in love?" He snickered. Eyes full of betrayal. His body was tensed and both fists were clenched tight. Veins were bulging under his skin. "Just because I never tell you about who I have a crush on? Or what kind of person I'm interested in? That's how you draw a conclusion about this bestest friend of yours?"