Chapter IX : Confession

Red Maple
Saturday, 14.33
Hi, guys!
It's been so long since my last post. I'm sorry, I was busy with a project with my friends. We were so preoccupied with it that we almost didn't get enough sleep. Other than that, my schedule had been so packed. Never thought being a college student would be this busy. But I guess, as long as I have my friends, I will be fine.
Keep up the good work, guys!

**Salty Player Rate Off
Saturday, 15.21
Heya! You're finally back!!!
I'm going to have my surgery next week. Please wish me luck! I want to get healthy again so I can meet you in person xoxo

***Reply from Red Maple
Wish you the best of luck! Let's meet up when you're out of the hospital :3
I recommend Sangonomiya Cafe. My friend Gorou will make you the best drink that you'll fall in love with.

****

"Ta-da!"
"What do you mean 'ta-da'?"
Kazuha pouted. Shoving his wrist to Gorou's face, showing the new bracelet around it. "You don't see this?"
"What is that?" Gorou retracted his face as if Kazuha just shoved something dirty to him.
"This is a special friendship bracelet!" he explained. "Tomo gave it to me."
"Wow!" Gorou grimaced. "That's ... amazing."
"You don't sound happy, though." Kazuha returned to his seat, looking at his bracelet like it was some sort of an ancient artifact worth a million dollars. It was made of common black beads with a tiny pendant shaped like a maple leaf. "He said, he made this for me." Gorou didn't respond.
"In his busy schedule, composing a song, he still took some time to make this little gift for me."
Kazuha could feel his face heated. "Does he like me?"
"No. You like him."
Kazuha chuckled nervously. "I know."
"You know?"

Kazuha nodded and hid his face using both hands.

"I know this sounds weird, but I have this unexplainable feeling whenever I think of him. And also, when we work on the project and get too close, my heart is racing like crazy! I have never felt like this before."
"That's called love, my man Kazuha." Gorou chuckled, though Kazuha could swear that his laughter somewhat sounded bitter. "He must be your first love."
"Yeah. This is embarrassing." Kazuha lowered his hands, looking at Gorou who was staring at a tablet owned by the cafe.
"Not really. Everyone has the right to fall in love." His friend was busy tapping on the screen.
"Wow! This guy ordered a lot!"
"Seems like you'll get some extra hours," said Kazuha, glancing at the clock by the counter. "I was just about to invite you to pick my cousin from the hospital. You remember Beidou, right?"
"Who doesn't remember her, will be a better question." The barista started working at the coffee machines and prepared cups expertly. "She used to tease me a lot when we were kids."
"Yeah, that's just her. She's a nice person inside."
"What happened to her?" Gorou was moving around, taking ingredients after ingredients from shelves behind him. His brown hair was swaying along with his quick movement. An apron was flapping on his stomach.
"Got into an accident while at work. She was unlucky." Kazuha's eyes followed Gorou who moved endlessly like some kind of a robot.
Gorou chuckled. "I can accompany you after I finish this guy's order. Just twelve cups of coffee.
Won't take long."
"I really want to help, but I don't know how those machines work." He flashed a sad smile.
For a second, Gorou stopped moving and just looked at him. His face was a little flustered, before clearing his throat and starting working again. "Leave it to me. I'm an expert."

***

The hall was crowded when they arrived at the hospital. Kazuha was about to go to the receptionist and asked about Beidou when the said woman called out to him. He quickly turned toward her and was surprised to see her with someone else.

"Hey, is it just me, or is that Tomo with Beidou?" he asked Gorou who was standing next to him.
"My eyes are good, and I'm sure it is Tomo," his friend answered. "What is he doing here?"
"Kazuha!" Beidou walked toward him, dragging a suitcase behind her followed by the Tomo-like man. She was wearing a red, unbuttoned jacket over a turtleneck sweater. Her black pants were tight and she was wearing flat-heeled shoes-Kazuha remembered, his cousin loved wearing heels wherever. She might have injured her leg or forgotten to bring her heels to the hospital. "Good to see you again!"
"Hey, Beidou. How do you do?"
"Never been better!" The tall woman continued by giving her cousin a noogie. "And Gorou! How are you doing, my favorite cousin-in-law?"
"What's that supposed to mean? Is that even a word?" Gorou bantered back.
"Help. I can't breathe." Kazuha groaned.
"Let him go! You're going to suffocate him!" It was Gorou's annoyed voice.
"Aye, still the overprotective little puppy boy, I see." Beidou freed Kazuha, and now he could feel fresh air entering his lungs.
"I'm not a puppy! I'm a big, scary war dog!" Gorou sounded embarrassed and annoyed at the same time. "And what's Tomo doing here?"
Now that he was free from Beidou's hands, Kazuha looked up at Tomo-yes, it was Tomo! The man in question was as relaxed as ever. If Beidou was wearing a jacket and a turtleneck that made her look like she was freezing, Tomo was wearing even more layers. He even had his hair down as if it would make him warmer.
"What are you doing here, Tomo?" Kazuha asked.
Tomo shrugged. "Just regular check-up."
"Hey, you guys know each other?" Beidou looked at Tomo and Kazuha respectively. "Why didn't you tell me, Sasaki?"
"Didn't know you and Kazuha are related."
"Ah." Beidou grinned. "So he was the guy!"
"What?" Kazuha narrowed his eyes. "Did you two talk about me behind my back?"
"Yes and no." Beidou circled an arm around Kazuha's neck and threw her suitcase to Gorou. "Let's go home! I'm starving and I can eat a horse!"
"You have to tell me everything at home." Kazuha glanced at his cousin and then at Tomo. His heart fluttered by the sight of Tomo's innocent eyes and sincere smile. His crush even waved at him, and for the first time, he was much quieter than he used to be. Kazuha suddenly missed Tomo's playful banter.
His eyes wandered to Gorou who gave Tomo a silent nod, before proceeding to follow him and Beidou. He didn't say anything, as if speaking was a difficult matter.
"Ah, Sasaki!" Beidou called. "Good luck for next week!" "Thanks!" Was Tomo's answer.
"What's with next week?" Kazuha asked Beidou as they continued walking through the hallway, leaving Tomo on the exact same spot.
"Why don't you ask him yourself? I made a promise to keep it from anyone, especially you." Beidou suddenly sounded solemn, like she was praying or mourning for someone dear to her. And it broke his heart to hear someone as chatty as Beidou to be like this. And even more, it left him with many more questions when he stole a glance at Gorou who had also fallen silent.