Chapter IV : Can't We Just Get Along?

Hey, Red Maple, how was your second day of college?” Gorou greeted when Kazuha appeared at Sangonomiya Cafe. It wasn't packed. Only a few souls were filling the seats. Soft jazz music was playing in the background just like usual.

“Bad,” Kazuha simply replied. He slouched down, and sat by the counter. “I need coffee. With a cute little puppy face and a heart.”
“Comin' right up.” Gorou's hands expertly reached for a cup and placed it under the coffee machine. “You didn't visit yesterday. Was it because of first day of college?”
“I thought your shift ended by the time I finished yesterday's class?”

“Took an extra hour. Saburou was on paid vacation yesterday and spent his day off lazing around at our home. You know how I can't get along with him—and he likes to boss me around like he owns the house. I didn't want to spend too much time with him, so I took an extra shift.”

“Must be tough, huh?”

“Yeah.” Gorou rubbed his head. “So, where did you go after class yesterday?”
“Went to the beach to watch sunset.” Kazuha laid his head on the counter. Left cheek was pressed on the cold surface. “With Tomo.”
“What?”

“He bought me an ice cream.”

“Wait. You went on a date with this guy just because he bought you an ice cream?” Gorou's voice was muffled by the machine. The aroma of coffee soon evaporated.
“What? That's not the point!” Kazuha lifted his head and gave Gorou a confused look. “And it wasn't a date!”

“But you were so dreamy like a school girl in love.” Gorou chuckled as he poured the espresso to another cup.
“I wasn't!”

Gorou added some fresh milk into the cup. White foam started to form on the surface. “Look at you. All red to the ears.”

“I'm not!” Kazuha covered his face and groaned. “Stop teasing, Gorou!”

“Here!” His best friend shoved the freshly brewed latte to Kazuha's face. “Coffee with a cute little puppy face and a heart. His name is Shirou. My new latte art.”

“You overdid yourself, sometimes. I was just saying random things, actually.” Kazuha studied the puppy's face on his cup. It was wearing a pointy hat, smiling with closed eyes, and was drawn perfectly. Gorou sure had artistic hands when it came to latte art. The heart near the puppy's ear was even crafted perfectly. “It's a shame I have to ruin this art.”

“I can make you more. Just enjoy it.”
Kazuha muttered a thanks before sipping the coffee. Gorou's coffee was always his favorite. The recipe was simple and common, just like any recipe used by any barista everywhere. But the coffee made by Gorou had a magical feeling. It might be the taste or because it was made by Gorou. Kazuha loved foods and beverages prepared wholeheartedly, just as how Gorou had prepared this coffee.

“Where's Kokomi?” he asked after gulping down half of the cup's content.
“She'll be here soon.” Gorou said, looking straight into Kazuha's red eyes. “Hey, since you're done with college, how about we hang out for a bit?”

“I want to, but I have to work on the project with Tomo.” Kazuha gave his friend an appologetic look. “So sorry.”
“Nah, it's fine.”

Even though Gorou said so, Kazuha could still hear the disappointment in his voice. “Hey, how about you come along?”
Gorou's blue eyes windened. “ Are you sure about this? I'm okay with this. I mean, my shift is about to end once Kokomi arrives. But what about Tomo?”

“I think, the more the merrier.” The white-haired young man shrugged.
The bell on the door rang. The two young men instantly turned toward it. Kokomi was in the middle of chatting idly with a taller person—Tomo!