Chapter XX : The Sun and Moon Smiles at Each Other

Tomo informed that he would get his surgery in the next three days. It was originally on the day of their visit, but it was delayed due to some things. Kazuha didn't bother to ask more about it, since the word 'surgery' itself brought back so many memories of his late mother. At that time, he was eight years old. He didn't understand any of the words his father said when his mother was going to get surgery. All he knew was his mother was sick.

"It's so nice to feel the sun again after days of being cooped up in the ward," Tomo started, staring at the bright morning sky.
The back garden of the hospital is filled with a variety of small shrubs and tall trees. It was cool and the tree shades protected the garden from too much sunlight. People were taking a walk with their loved ones or with their caretakers. It was peaceful.
Kazuha lifted his head, staring at the same sky. "Yeah."

"And it's been so long since I last played guitar."

Kazuha reached for the guitar he was bringing from home. It was his idea to bring it to the hospital, so Tomo could play it for a while. He knew, being hospitalized sucks. Tomo wouldn't be able to leave freely and to have fun like before. Because it all happened to Kazuha's mother years ago.

"Here." He gave the guitar to the taller man. "Play it. It can be any song you like, or maybe the song we're working on."

"It's not complete, yet." Tomo received the instrument, and placed it on his lap with expertise. His right hand quickly found the strings, and his fingers absentmindedly strummed random tunes.
"Wow. I almost forgot how it felt to play guitar."

"No kidding." Kazuha giggled. "You're an expert. It's like you were born to play the guitar."

"I wish." He kept strumming random tunes. " Drifting on a sandy shore / I pick cerulean shells laying across and about / To bring smiles where needed the most."

Kazuha could feel his cheeks flared at the lyrics. It was his old poem that he wrote a long time ago. It was also the poem he wrote when Tomo peeked at his phone, and their meeting happened. A poem that brought them together.

"Hmm you should really write a book of poem collections," Tomo commented. "You are talented,
after all."

"Maybe next time. After we finish the song."
Tomo put a hand on his head. "And don't forget to put my name on the thanking page."

"Of course. Why would I forget." He looked down, keeping his consciousness in check as his cheeks got hotter. "It's you who gave me hope and dreams."

"Everyone has the right to dream and hope. Look. Even the lavender dreams," Tomo said.

Kazuha glanced at him, finding the older man looking at a lavender shrub. It was the only lavender among fern hedges and other small tropical shrubs. The purple flowers were swaying with the wind, nodding as if they were agreeing to everything Tomo said.
"We're like a lavender," Tomo continued.

"Even even if the wind keeps trying to crumble us, we keep fighting and striving to live. To hope. To reach our dream. To emit fragrance and leave an unforgettable trace in our wakes."

"Lavender dreams just like a human." Kazuha nodded, finding himself magically absorbed in the lavender theory. "You are a lavender who keeps on dreaming even in the most difficult of times."

"You too. You know that."

Kazuha felt Tomo's grip on his arm. The older man moved his body a little, making them look straight at each other. And then, just like that, Tomo leaned closer and placed a kiss on his lips.

Kazuha's heart was pounding hard inside his ribcage. Chills were running up and down his whole skin. The kiss felt completely different than Gorou's kiss. It was complete. It felt like a dream. It was Tomo.