Chapter VIII : Warm Breath

When the clock ticked at 11, the three of them decided to leave the karaoke. Kazuha worried that his father would ground him, since it was past his curfew. But he didn't care. He was with Tomo- and Gorou, too. It was all that mattered.

"Oh, my Archons! If I hadn't told you two what time it was, we wouldn't have been on our way home now!" Gorou commented from the back seat.
"Okay, okay. Thanks for the reminder, Gorou," replied Kazuha.
"As an apology for keeping you caged with us for four hours, I'm taking you home. Isn't that nice?"

Tomo was driving faster now that the road was less crowded. Only a few cars and buses were filling it. Their headlamps were shining brightly. Skyscrapers were glowing with tiny star-like lights, towering beyond the jet-black sky.

"Well, thank you!" Gorou's tone wasn't that one of gratefulness. It was an annoyed tone.
"Forgive him. He's just going through a phase." Kazuha felt that he needed to apologize.

The car stopped in front of Gorou's house. The house was already dark and silent. It was a humble two stories house with a garden full of flowers, and a garage. To think that Gorou's big family all live in harmony under the same roof was endearing. If only Kazuha and his father could achieve the same level of trust and care, maybe his home wouldn't feel so tedious.

"Bye, Gorou!" Kazuha poked his head from the open window. "See you tomorrow at the cafe!"
"Stay safe!" Was Gorou's response. "Gimme a text or a call when you get home! If you don't, I'm going to find you in your sleep!!"

As his voice was swallowed by the death of night, the car's engine was the only one heard around the empty road. Kazuha suddenly felt that this silence was choking. His brain raked for any topic to start a small talk with Tomo before they reached his home.

"Your friend is interesting." Tomo started. "He cares a lot about you."
"Um, yeah. Gorou's always been like that. We're like brothers."
"Don't you think that he considers you more than a brother?" The tall man's eyes were focused on the road. Hands around the wheel, relaxed.
"What?" Kazuha could feel his cheeks grow hot. "That's funny. We're just best friends."
Tomo chuckled. "I see."
"Besides," Kazuha looked down at his knees, "there's someone else...."
"Hm?"
His brain suddenly stopped functioning. "Uh, nevermind."

They fell silent again, and Kazuha couldn't look at Tomo now. What was he thinking just now? He didn't like Tomo that way, did he? They just met for a few days and spent a few hours together, doing nonsense. They hadn't even started on their project yet!

They reached Kazuha's house soon after. The gate was closed tight, and the shadowy figure of the main building peeked from the tall trees behind high fences.

"Wow! Your home is like a palace!" Tomo commented, head turned to the sight of the mansion.
His eyes suddenly spotted a golden plate next to the gate. "Kaedehara? You are a Kaedehara?"
Kazuha rubbed the back of his neck. "I think so."
He shouldn't ask Tomo to drop him right in front of his house. Damn it.
"That's cool!" Tomo just smiled. No other comment. No nothing.
"Um, thanks for the ride." The shorter male was about to exit the car, when he heard Tomo's voice again.
"Kazuha."
"Wha-?" Kazuha didn't even have time to finish his word when Tomo leaned to his face. Too close that he could feel his warm breath. His eyes shut close, and his heart was beating too fast and loud, he could almost hear its beats. Everything was frozen in time.
"I'll see you tomorrow," Tomo whispered softly.
Kazuha opened his eyes quick, finding Tomo's lavender ones were as gentle as ever.
And he thought Tomo was going to kiss him!

Kazuha's reply was only a nod. He scrambled his way out of the car, closed the door, and just stood outside it like an idiot. Tomo's car left, and in a few seconds, it was only Kazuha left alone under the night sky.
What was I thinking?
The young man grabbed the side of his head, pulled at his hair, and internally screamed.***

"Kazuha! Pssst! Wakey, wakey!"
"Quick! Before the professor finds out!"
"I'm trying here! Oh, c'mon, Kazuha! When are you gonna wake up?"
"Yoimiya! He's coming!"
"Oh, shit. I wasn't even paid for this!"

Kazuha heard the girls' voice, and woke up from a delirium phase. The class was still full of students. It was too hot, even though the air conditioner was on. His eyes darted to the front of the class, at the giant screen showing a presentation. His professor wasn't there though.

"And, Kaedehara, could you please tell the class which place's topography is the result of an
Archon hurling giant spears of rock during a time of war?"

Kazuha could feel chills running down his spines. The tall figure of Prof. Zhongli was standing right next to him in a second. He was smiling, holding a thick book. His golden eyes showed nothing but murder. Two girls that were trying to wake Kazuha before were now looking at him from the protection of their books.

"It's... uh, Guyun Stone Forest?" Kazuha answered stiffly.
"Correct!" Prof. Zhongli nodded. The smile was still plastered on his face. "Next time, sleep at your home. Not at the class. Or else, you will have to feel the wrath of the rock." "Yes, Sir." The white-haired student nodded.

Prof. Zhongli returned to the front of the class. He started talking and talking and talking about the history of Liyue, a neighboring nation of Inazuma. Starting from the legend of Rex Lapis and his adepti to every small detail of the nation. He could make a whole book if only someone would use an app to turn his speech into text.

Kazuha liked history, but not today. He was too tired and sleepy thanks to spending hours at the karaoke last night. And to make it worse, he kept thinking about the kiss. Well, he and Tomo didn't kiss, but his mind was making a scenario based on that which left him stirring on his bed for another hour.

The class ended an hour later. Kazuha couldn't be more relieved than this. He wanted to go straight home and get some sleep, but he missed Gorou's coffee. Also, Kazuha didn't text Gorou when he got home last night. Of course, Kazuha made up for this by texting him in the morning, but Gorou didn't reply. He never missed replying to his texts before.

"Hey, Kazuha!" Someone slapped his back when he was about to leave the class.
"Can I help you, Yoimiya?" He asked rather sharply, rubbing his sore back.

Yoimiya was his classmate, an energetic girl who talked too much and never got tired. She was wearing an orange jumper over a plain white shirt. Her blonde hair was tied into a ponytail with lots of accessories. She was also wearing a pair of red loop earrings. Beside her, another girl was looking at Kazuha shyly from the protection of a book in her hand.

"Whoa, don't be so cold," said Yoimiya, placing both hands on her hips. "We just saved you from
Prof. Zhongli's rage! Right, Ayaka?"
"You must be so tired," said the other girl. Ayaka was beautiful and elegant with a dark blue dress and long hair. Her pale hands were delicate and looked soft. She smelled like flowers. "It was the first time you fell asleep at class."
"Oh." Kazuha rubbed the back of his head. "I stayed up late last night, so I didn't get enough sleep."
"Poor thing." Ayaka shook her head in disbelief.
"So, about the group project," Yoimiya started. "Because we're so unlucky to be in the same group with you for Prof. Zhongli's class, when are we gonna work on it?"

Prof. Zhongli decided to split the class into groups and present each chapter of their handbook. Kazuha was in the same group as Yoimiya and Ayaka, and because they were just so unlucky, they got the first turn to present which is next week. Kazuha thought, this unluckiness had something to do with his idiotic mind last night.

"Let's talk about it over some coffee. My treat." Kazuha could see the girls' glowing eyes.
"Oh, I love coffee!" Yoimiya jumped and punched the air.
"I can use some coffee, too." Ayaka agreed politely. "Where are we going?"
"Sangonomiya Cafe." Kazuha could feel his own smile grow. "I know the barista there. He makes the best coffee in the world."