Chapter XV : Revelation

Kazuha flopped on the bed, face first. He wasn't hungry, but he was so very tired that he could die right now. Maybe Tomo was really busy today. He should have understood. Not everyone always has time for him-even his own father. Not to mention Tomo. He has his responsibilities and all.

Maybe he'll show up tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Or another day.

Someone knocked on his door. Kazuha lifted his head, and turned to the door. It could be Beidou.

It could be the maid who was going to scold him or whatever.

"Kazuha? Are you in there?" It was his father.

He jumped from the bed, tidied his hair, and quickly opened the door. If it was his father, then he had to move quicker than ever. His father hates slow people.

"Hey, Dad," he greeted, trying to sound natural despite the memory of yesterday filling his mind.

"You look tired," he said. He was wearing more casual clothes today. His hair wasn't even slicked back. It was just combed messily. "Did you drink enough water today?"

"Yeah, I did."

"I'm going somewhere. Come with me."

"Okay." That was his answer. As if he could refuse.

His father led him to his car. His private driver wasn't in the driver's seat. It was only him and his father. Somehow, Kazuha felt chills running down his spines. It's been so long since he last went alone with his dad. It usually was him, his dad, and a driver.

The drive was filled with songs from the radio, specifically old songs that Kazuha often heard when he was a lot younger. Songs that his mother used to love. For as long as he could remember, his father never played any music in the car. It was always news or podcasts.

"Where are we going?" he asked timidly.

"Hmm. A place that you're going to love." The man's eyes shone with something that Kazuha hadn't seen for ten years. It was mischieve.

Ten years ago, his father used to play tricks and pranks on him. They would pull pranks on one another, laugh out loud at the victim, and get scolded by his mother. They would go to funfair together, trying their luck of games, and eat cotton candies together. Those were very happy times.

The memories were almost buried and forgotten now.

The drive wasn't a short one, and the traffic jam made it feel even longer. No one was saying anything at all. When the car finally slowed down in front of a shopping center, Kazuha couldn't help but look out the window.

"Why are we here?" he asked out of curiosity.

"Don't you love visiting this mall?"

"Yeah, but why?"

"I'll go find a parking spot first, then I'll tell you."

It was bustling tonight. The vast hall, painted in cream white was like a welcoming hand. Stores were lined up, packed with customers. Small lamps on the ceiling were reflected on the pristine light brown floor. The air conditioner was set too high, maybe, since it was a little bit too cold for Kazuha. The smell of fresh clothes and artificial freshener hung in the air.

"Let's go. It's on the fifth floor," his father said. "Would you like to take the lift or the escalator?" "Whichever is fine." Kazuha shrugged.

"The escalator then. We can also look around while on the way." His father trotted to the first escalator they came across. "Mind your feet when you get on and off."