~No place for a child~

~•~•~•~•~
Hello my lovelies
So I found the perfect image of Evangeline...
Again thank you for your support and votes...
~•~•~•~••~

When Evangeline woke up , she found herself in a big four-poster bed curtained with beautiful burgundy satin drapes. She slowly sat up removing the matching coverlet and climbed her way out to find that it was dark out. She noticed that she was in a vast room lit with candles and full of dark mahogany furniture with gloomy paintings on the walls. She must have slept all morning- and half the night. The clocks hand on the far mantle by a fire displayed the hour of eight. Fear gripped her heart as she remembered where she was. And who brought her here. The image of him arguing with Claudette, the promising look of retaliation in his glare as he left.
Shaking her head she couldn't stay here. She flew to the door and tried the handle. It was locked. Her panic mounting, she hurried across to the big, Satin draped window through which the low August sun was waning giving slanting rays of evening light. There was no escaping this way either.

It was a sheer drop of maybe twenty feet or more to the street below.
She would surely die from breaking every bone in her body.
She sat suddenly on the edge of the vast bed, and recalled how Reynaud and his men took her from her home.
Tears began to fill her eyes.
Her mother!!!
She missed her so much.

Slinking back further into the bed she curled up on her side and layed silently.
Just then she heard the sound of  footsteps near the door, the slight husky chuckle and moan followed by a throaty giggle. The doorknob twisted as if they were trying to gain entry then it stopped when a familiar voice chimed in to go to the next room.

She sat up shivering in the bed pulling her knees up to her chest. Her heart raced so heavily in her chest she began to shake. Fear gripped her throat when she saw the doorknob turned and the door slowly opened. To her relief Claudette entered quickly shutting the door behind her.

With a sigh she leaned her back against the door and closed her eyes. As if relieved herself. She stood their in silent thought until she finally spoke.
Her soft voice was heard as she stood up straight.

"Evangeline? Are you awake?" She asked in a quiet voice.

The room was silent for a while. Claudette sighed and walked slowly to the side of the bed where she peered down to Evangeline's form curled up on her side feigning sleep.

"I know you are awake petite souris," she insisted in a playful soft voice.

Giving up her rouse she gently opened her eyes and looked up at her.

Holding out a hand she begged her to sit up and join her by the window chair.

She patted the pillow mound by the window before her so Evangeline would join her.
Evangeline followed and sat looking down she rubbed her sweaty hands on skirt waiting for Claudette to speak.

Looking out the window she looked at the street below taking in the night view of the town.
Evangeline followed her gaze. She turned slightly to look at the young girl before her. She was beautiful, petite with long chestnut brown hair, bright almond shaped eyes a pert nose and small lips. Someday men will flock to her like bees to honey. She watched as Evangeline coyly averted her gaze it was evident she wasn't use to this.

Setting aside her thoughts she beamed a reasurring smile and gently held Evangeline's small hand in hers.

" I want to help you," she spoke.
Evangeline sat straight up eager to hear what Claudette had to say.

"I want to know if you have any family I can send you to?" She asked.

Not knowing how to answer she shook her head and she began to fidget.

"An aunt?, uncle? Grand mamá ? , no one?" She asked surprised.

Sadly Evangeline nodded. She had no one.

Claudette slouched with the little bit of hope of helping her get to a family member being snuffed like putting out a burning candle.

"Oh dear! I see," she breathed.

Claudette looked at her again. Her eyes looked everywhere as if searching for an idea in her head or thinking of a plan.

"I have an aunt that lives in the county side her name is Madame Louise, she is a very kind woman, a recluse that stays to herself. You can stay with her.
I will send word with her asking if it is ok for you to go there. " she began speaking.
"Evangeline you know you can not stay here. This is no place for a young girl," she tilted her chin up softly.
Long lashes fanned her cheeks as her nose turned red. She looked up to Claudette with tear filled eyes and nodded.
"It is not safe, Reynaud will stop at nothing to have you. And he is not happy with what I did." She warned.
"In the meantime until I hear a response from my aunt, I want you to remain in this room. You only go downstairs to eat accompanied by me when everyone is gone. Am I clear?" She looked at her.
Evangeline nodded.

With a sigh of relief she continued to talk with her and explain many things to her.

She was in place of ill repute and it was no place for a child. Men came to be entertained in a more detailed manor of carnal nature that she could never witness. She was naive to such things and very innocent and Claudette wanted it to stay that way. She explained much but held back pertinent information and facts of life. Such things crudely mentioned were unlady like. She would try her best to shelter Evangeline from this life of carnal sin and servitude.

When she finally ordered up food and sat and ate with her she cleaned up and went back to bed.

She watched her slowly drift off to sleep.

The heavy feeling in her heart of what Evangeline was going through hurt her deeply. She dashed away a tear.
She would not do to Evangeline what her own mother did to her.
She angrily shook her head.
She was only 15 when her mother handed her over to a man for money.
They were dirt poor, living in a shack and the only way to get fed was to have money, and to have money she needed to lay on her back her mother jeered.

She was pretty much born to this life. Her father was probably one of the low lives that frequented their shack to sleep with her mother for just two measly shillings. That last man that slept with her did her more good than any others had. He brought her here. The Madame before her took her in gave her a place to sleep and eat. Taught her how to survive in this profession.
Sadly Claudette turned and sat by the window.
It was a pity years later Madame passed away due to lung fever. But everything was left to her.
Many asked why not leave this sinful life.
And do what?
She has nothing nor no one. No man would ever take her as a wife. She was to live her life this way.

Turning her head she turned to look at the bed again.
She will not let the same fate happen to Evangeline.
She will make sure of it.