~Yearning~ Part 2

5 months later~·~·~·~
He decided it was time.
She was 16 and old enough to go to semi-formal balls, tea parties and the Opera.

With his prayers answered he finally received a letter from his sister Caroline, now widowed after her husband's death, she would be returning to London from America.

And he was finally relieved that Alicia no longer was angry with him. She accepted his decision to hold off their announcement of their engagement until Evangeline got accustomed to her. Sadly it has not been so.

Although Evangeline held her at a diplomatic distance, he knew she only did it for his sake. He believes that with time she would warm up to her. He only hoped she would.
Only hoped....

*~*~*~*~
The day finally came when Caroline arrived. She was received with warm welcomes from the staff. The moment he introduced her to Evangeline she was truly surprised that he became guardian to such an enchanting creature.
He chuckled.
Evangeline took to her like moth to a flame and they have been inseparable ever since. She became her chaperone to functions in most cases where he could not attend.

He wished she would warm up to Alicia that way.

Caroline expressed her concern countless times of trying hard to convince Evangeline to get along with Alicia. Claiming they are like oil and water...
They just do not mix....

Caroline knows all too well that by her brother marrying Alicia, things would change for the worst and who would suffer would be Ebangeline. Although too nervous to admit it or mention it, she senses that her brothers ward has feelings for him.

So when she decided to take her one last trip abroad to settle personal matters, she was hesitant to leave. She had come to adore Evangeline and her sweet nature, the slight feeling that things would change gave her an eerie feeling.

It worried her.

*~*~*~*~*

After a long morning, Adrian leaned back in his chair tossing the annoying leaflets of the months ledger before him on his desk. The quietness of his study ever so often echoed the swish of a page being turned from a book. His eyes shifted to the far corner on the floor and its occupants. Engrossed in a world of her own Evangeline was barely noticeable as she was transfixed in her latest story.

She lay amongst an array of books on the floor a small plate with a half eaten scone and a cup of tea. Penelope a white Persian cat, their newest addition to the family lay beneath her idle fingers that gently stroked its lush fur.

Curious to what she read and obviously dreading the work that lay before him, he sighed. Standing up he walked over to where she lay with her book on the floor. Plopping beside her on the ground he pulled a soft pillow off the nearby sofa and placed it beneath his head.

Ms. Phelps would surely faint at this scene for it would seem highly inappropriate. He scoffed in his head.

She turned to look at him and smiled.

"What are you reading peach," he settled beside her.

She turned on her back and placed her head next to his.

"I am reading a novel by Samuel Richardson called ~Clarrisa~" she replied softly.

"Ahh, yes ..... The tragic tale of a young lass being forced to make a loveless marriage and so runs off with her enamored Robert Lovelace," he spoke.