~A Defiant Duchess~

She fought through the darkness and slowly came out confused surrounded by an unfamiliar man that was smiling at her and asking her questions in french. He helped her sit up and explained to her that she fainted. One question led to another, he observed her and began to check her. After a brief moment of poking and prodding he put his stethoscope away in his bag and sat at her bedside with a smile as he pat her hand.

"Docteur quel est le problème avec moi ?(Dr. What is wrong with me?)"

He chuckled.

"Ma belle fille, êtes-vous avec enfant(You my beautiful girl, you are with child!)"

Before she could comprehend what he was saying a wash of warmth flooded her cheeks as reality of his words set in.

She was pregnant.

Instinctively, she placed her hand over her stomach and lowered her head. Her vision began to blur with unshed tears. She was carrying Adrians child.

She let out a shakey breath as the Doctor stood and continued to talk about her health and regimen she needed to follow to bring the baby to term. He bid his goodbye with instructions to see him in 2 weeks and exited the room.

In that instant she heard her Uncle and Reynaud speaking to him. All numbness cloaked her the moment he congratulated Reynaud. She sat mute and rivited to the spot at what was happening.

As the Dr.left and her uncle followed, Reynaud entered the room and slowly closed the door. Her heart heavily beat in her chest. Sharp unbearable thumps after the other followed as he came closer and stood at the foot of the bed.

He held her gaze and was silent for a moment. A chill swept across Evangeline. The hair rose at the back of her neck and her fingers gripped hard at her stomach as his gaze lazily lingered their with a wicked smile.

"Isn't it odd how changes in certain events bring on entertaining circumstances?" he questioned.

Her brows furrowed.
"What do you mean?" her voice quivered.

He chuckled. " I must admit, I honestly did not know how long I could hold you up to your bargain with the threat of killing your dear cousin if you did not comply."
He said.

"I really wanted to see St.James suffer in the process for sticking his nose were it did not belong. But....the tables have changed to my advantage. Your circumstance seems quite just to me. I just realize the most entertaining and just situation of all of this......St. James's child could be mine."

He smiled at her as though he was talking of a regular everyday occurrence.

He sighed and sat at the foot of the bed.
"Imagine his child brought up by me. I could turn it into anything I' de liked, good or bad."

Evangeline shook her head and looked into his eyes.
"This child is mine."

"And mine too, now that we are here. You have put yourself in my hands, Evangeline, and the child also."

Blood drained from Eva's face as she shook her head.

"You will not harm my child. I will not let you," she whispered, not looking at him but staring at her fingers clasped at her abdomen.

Her gaze returned to him as he let out a benevolent laugh.

"Harm your child!, what do you take me for?" he slowly edged closer to her until they were inches from eachother.

She swallowed heavily at the lump forming in her throat as he leaned closer to her. She watched as his pupils dialated and his grin filled with malice.