~A guinea for a name~

He stood in the library looking at the fire that danced before him. His mind heavy in thought. The soft knock brought him out of his concentration.

"Enter," he ordered.

He turned to watch Rosie enter. She was such a humble and sweet woman it brought a smile to his lips to see her always smiling.

"The lass has eaten and is fast asleep," she whispered happily.

Nodding his head he turned to look at the fire.

"Has she said anything, has she spoken to you?" He asked.

Her brows frowned at the question and to think of it she noticed she hasn't.

"Why No, milord she has not," she shook her head.

She began to fidget a bit and he noticed her worry.
"What is wrong Rosie?" He frowned with concern.

Looking down she averted her gaze.

"I heard that she crawled through the window to steal." She mentioned.

Giving a brief sigh, he turned to the fire again.

"Yes indeed she did. But, I feel somehow she is not some random street urchin," he said not looking away from the hypnotic sway of the flames.

Puzzled she looked at him.

" What ever do you mean milord."

Taken in a deep breath, he paused then chuckled shaking his head.

"Never mind me Rosie, exhaustion has me thinking incoherent thoughts don't mind me."

With a sweet laugh she shook her head as well bidding her leave she turned to walk out of the library.

After a short while, he found himself at his bedroom door. He entered quietly and walked slowly towards the bed. A lit candle by her bedside gave a low dim light just enough to see her laying on her side.
He gently brushed away a lock of soft curl from her cheek.

She slept peacefully. No sign of fear, embarrassment or fright.

"Tonight you have nothing to worry," about," he whispered.

Bending down he blew out the candle. Stepping away from the bed he gave one last glance before turning and walking away.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Morning came and Evangeline awoke disoriented. Finally realizing where she was she bolted upright sitting in the bed.
Looking around she saw the vastly large furnished room. Slowly she pulled away the sheets and slid from the bed.
Not wanting to waste any more time she went looking for her cloths.

She walked to the door and pulled the nob.
Frustrated, she tried it again. She was locked in.
She slowly stepped back. Frantic.
What if he had her locked up, later to hand her over to constables.
She shook her head vehemently. She needed to leave this place.
She darted for the window.
Her heart sunk, she was too high up. As she rested her forehead on the window.

" I don't think that is wise," came the deep voice from the door.
She never heard it open.
He startled her.
Not wanting to turn to see his eyes, she continued staring out the window.
Then he was beside her.

"It would be an agonizing death you seek or excruciating pain you will endure if you decided to jump," he turned to look at her and leaned on the windowsill.
She felt his gaze on her.

" I take it you slept well," he said softly.
She continued to stare out of the window.
He looked down thinking and trying to find the words for her to say something.