Prelude

December 26, 1984

11:50 PM

Snow billowed across empty lots. As the wind pushed on Theodore Westford's perm, he zipped his colorful coat to his chin and tucked his hands into his pockets. He crossed the empty street to the unfinished home he designed. For a brief second, he stopped. His usually happy glowing eyes, stared coldly at the building. He chewed on his bottom lip feeling a moment of hesitation. He looked down each side of the street wondering how things even got this far. Before letting doubt drown his mind, he stood taller and headed into the building. Before closing the door, he looked into the haze of snow once more and knew he couldn't turn back now.

With each step, Theodore let memories play like an old movie in his mind. The first time Theodore met Murrey Bink, Murry helped Theodore hide from the cops. Murrey gave Theodore the chance to make quick money and turn his life around. A way to stop running from cops , a way to take over the town. In no time, Theodore ran the crime and owned the police. He was known all over New York as a man not to be messed with. Murrey and Theodore started a crew to keep the crime in check and people at bay. This crew of strangers eventually became brothers. Murrey introduced Theodore to his wife and was the best man at his wedding. Theodore respects Murrey so much, he asked him to be his child's Godfather. Over the years, Murrey became, not only a mentor, but a friend. Family.

Murrey gave Theodore many years of laughter, wealth, and power. But, he also gave Theodore years of underlying deceit, abuse, and hurt. Murrey taught Theodore great lessons, but also everything he never wanted to turn into. Inevitably their differences turned into a clash between a man who wanted the world for himself and a man who wanted to build the world into something good for all.

Now, all Theodore could think about is how much he trusted Murrey. He allowed him into his life and at one point admired him. Theodore's stomach turned. A bad taste crawled into his mouth. He reached the door to the roof and swallowed hard. In that moment, Theodore shook away all doubts and worries. His thoughts consisted of the family he's beginning. Theodore stepped up the ladder leading to the roof, then crawled onto the roof.

At the ledge of the roof stood Murry. Murry's dark jerry curled hair lightly blew in the wind. He heard the crunch of Theodore's steps on the snow and a smirk appeared on his lips. His voice carried over the wind, "So you decided to show?"

"Did I have a choice?"

Murrey chuckled, "Of course."

Theodore stopped in the middle of the roof, "No, I didn't."

"You brought us here Teddy." Theodore stayed silent and shook his head. Murrey turned, "This could have been avoided." Murrey took a step toward Theodore, "You choose everyone over me." Theodore sighed and looked down at the snow billowing across the roof. Murrey took another step forward, "I built this town with you." Theodore's bright eyes shot up to Murrey and his eye brows came together. Murrey chuckled, "What? Hm? I did. Without me, you wouldn't be anything."

Theodore's body tensed. Theodore gripped the cold metal in his pocket tighter, the gun handle burning a hole in his hand. Murrey's sick smirk made Theodore's stomach turn. Theodore shook his head, "The people, they built this town. They build this town everyday."

Murrey made a gagging sound. He huffed, "Teddy, that," he pointed at Theodore, "that is exactly you're problem. People. Family." His hands hit his sides, "You can't admit, I made you. You're only here because I saved you." Theodore stayed silent. Murrey scuffed, "You're soft Teddy. Always have been. That's why we're here."

Theodore kept a calm tone, "No, we're here because you can't accept change."

Murrey spat, "CHANGE?!" He let out a roar of laughter, "You're damn right, I don't want to change." Murrey turned and looked over the dormant street. "We have a silent empire here, Teddy." Murrey looked down the road to the town, "All we could do with it and you want to..."

"Go in a better direction. I was never trying to stop..." Theodore paused as Murrey sent a look over his shoulder. Theodore sighed, "Not completely."

Murrey shook his head and looked back at the town, "So... you didn't bring the money, the contracts... You didn't bring anything. I guess we're doing this the hard way."

"You threatened my family. How did you think this would go?"

"Well," with a shrug, Murrey said, "Honestly Teddy, I thought you'd step down without a fight." Murrey placed his hands in his pockets.

Theodore bit on the inside of his lip hard and gripped the gun. His stomach jumped. He squeezed the handle of the gun taking a deep breath, "You don't know me as well as you think."

Murrey scuffed and a smirk covered his face.

The world went silent.

Murrey went to turn. Slowly his hand started from his pocket. Theodore cleared his mind. He exhaled holding the gun high. Steadily, Theodore watched Murrey turn. A small glimmer came from Murrey's hand. Theodore pulled the trigger.

Murrey heard the bang, felt a pinch, and looked down. A bullet pierced through his jacket and into his side. His eyebrows came together and he looked at Theodore who still held his gun up. Murrey swung his gun up in anger. Theodore shot again.

Murrey hit the ground. Red soiled the pure snow. Murrey's gun laid next to his hand. The wound in his chest poured blood. Murrey placed a hand on his chest as he coughed blood. The ringing in Murrey's ears finally started to fade. Crunching footsteps on snow now filled Murrey's ears. He glanced to his left and saw Theodore's tennis shoes grow closer. With Murrey's mind being hazy, his movements became slower. He coughed more moving his hand back and forth looking for his gun.

Theodore kicked Murrey's gun to the side, then kneeled down. He looked over the man that brought him so much in the best and worst ways. He placed his gun in his pocket and sniffled, "This was the only way." He wiped his nose, licked his lips, and placed his hand on Murrey's, "Murrey, you've always been so wrong about me." Murrey coughed up more blood. Theodore continued, "I've always been grateful to you, but that doesn't mean I'm grateful for what you made me. You made me something I never wanted to be." Theodore looked Murrey in the eye for the last time and said, "The only problem I had... was you."