1. Henry

September 15th

2:30 PM

Drip...

Drip...

Drip...

Finally, the coffee finished brewing. I had been watching the old broken machine for the last hour waiting for the finish. Marie, the front secretary, made her way to the machine before anyone else. She needed her sixth cup of the day to finish her shift. Then two secretaries made their way to the machine; two male officers allowed them to go first so they could sneak peeks at their behinds. Once the ladies finished getting a cup each, the top two officers in our distract, Ray and Banks, pushed in front of the other two officers.

I sighed and continued to wait until no one stood around. I didn't want to get pushed around and I definitely didn't want to wait in line. I leaned back in my chair and watched as the top officers just stood there talking and laughing. They stood there so long the other officers walked off.

Darn Ray and Banks for being such jerks. They're cops, they're the good guys. Just because people praise them for being good at their job doesn't mean they can be mean to whoever they want, whenever they want. One would think someone would stand up and say something, but no one has... or will. I've always wanted to, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that thinks they're too conceited. Since they joined the force they've been partners and have always been "go-getters". They take every big case they're given, are friends with most the guys here, and all the ladies love them... well, except for Mindy and Linda, they're lesbians. I guess their is one person kind of on my side, Captain Miles. He doesn't hate the work Ray and Banks put in, but he hates the way the act like they run the place. The only downside being he hates me too.

I looked over from my desk top and saw the coffee area empty. I sighed with relief and then made my way to the coffee machine. The sound of high heels came from being me as I grabbed the pot.

"OOOooohhh, Henry..." Marie called.

"Yeah Marie?" I turned holding the coffee pot and a paper cup.

She looked at the pot and saw enough left for one cup, then her eyebrows pushed forward in worry, "Is that the last of the coffee?"

"Um," I didn't know if she was asking me a trick question.

"Look, Henry, I spilled my coffee all over my desk and papers. It's a mess at the front desk now and I have to clean it all up and you know I drink several cups of coffee to get through the day. I just get so stressed with all the crazy calls we get and the paperwork. Coffee helps take off the edge, ya know." Marie talked very fast. I don't think I ever heard her say anything even remotely slow. She continued, "Please, you know I wouldn't ask if there was more coffee made and I worked a longer shift because I know, we all know, how long it takes this silly coffee maker to make coffee, ya know? So, could I maybe," she pointed at the coffee pot and smiled, "have the last of it, please."

I smiled and said, "Of course Marie. No problem." I knew Marie always had a lot of coffee during her day and her job is stressful. Her shift ends soon and mine doesn't, so waiting for another pot to brew wouldn't be so bad.

"Oh, you're a sweetheart Henry," she took the pot from me and grabbed a new paper cup. She didn't even say thank you. Then I figured, since she's southern, 'you're a sweetheart' meant thank you. So I stayed quiet and let her make her coffee.

After watching her make her cup, we gave each other another smile and she walked off leaving me standing with just my empty cup. I sighed turning to the table, coffee maker, cups, and the coffee container. I placed my cup on the table, then readied the coffee pot to start another pot. Lastly and most importantly, the coffee. I opened the container and... nothing. Absolutely nothing. The container had completely been used and they left it sitting there. Who does that?!