Chapter 21

"So what happened to your parents?" "I told you." He stated, taking another bite of his sandwich. "How about your mom?" I curiously asked. "Nothing." He said with a full mouth.

I gave him a look..

"She's upstairs, and if I'm correct, reading." He said it was no big deal. "What?!" "Your mom's home?! Why didn't you tell me?!" I shout, suddenly alerted. "Shhh, it's fine, it's my dad you should be worried about." He whispers, not wanting to give his mom a heart attack that there's a stranger in the house. I guess that's true, it was his dad that was doing the violence, poor Elijah's mom. "Why did he leave?" I whisper slowly, not wanting to pull a trigger. I guess that I did even after my precaution because as soon as the words leave my mouth Elijah's whole face changes.

"Money." He said so fast I barely caught the word, he must have noticed because he went over and said it more slowly. "He left because there were money problems." My mouth forms into a slow o shape. He's a better liar than me.

"Do you need any money, I'm working part time at the bakery, I can lend you some." I quickly say, playing along. "NO." He shouted, loudly. My eyes widened at the sound. "I-i mean it's not that bad n-no i-i we, um no, it's okay I don't want to bother you, you know." I slowly nod my head, terrified of this new Elijah standing in front of me.

He must read the expression on my face because he looks terrified in front of me, not wanting to be too near, not wanting to back away. So instead his hands are frozen in mid-way, looking exactly like what my father looked when he realized what he had done, pushing my mother on the floor. And exactly like my father, 

he walks away.