Chapter 64: Pakoykoy

July 02, 1959

I woke up with the smell of mint tea and blueberry pancake with honey somewhere near our window table. I adjusted my eyes through the light from the window, I looked at the clock and it's 7am. Kinapa ko ang aking katabi, pero di ko makapa.

"Oh well, he's off to work early." Sabi ko sa sarili ko.

I stood up from the bed at nagmumog muna ako sa banyo at hilamos onti then went to the food that is already smelling our room.

I saw a letter from no other than my Beloved Husband who is not in the house as of the moment. Umupo ako then sip the hot tea, I opened the letter to read it.

Happy Birthday my Imelda,

I already fed the kids before I left the house, they are now at the hands of their Lola Josefa with Inday. I tried cooking your blueberry pancakes but I failed, so I let Inday do it, thank God it's fine, your's are still the best! Go and enjoy your birthday, darling! I love you so much, my beloved wife.

From your beloved Husband,

Ferdinand.

With our photo attached to it.

I ate the pancake with honey syrup that supposed to be Ferdinand prepared but can't do it so it's Inday's

I ate the pancake with honey syrup that supposed to be Ferdinand prepared but can't do it so it's Inday's. Then I heard little footsteps palapit sa kwarto namin.

They slowly opened the door then ulo muna ni Imee ang sumilip.

"Hello Little girl." Bati ko kay Imee.

She smiled at me then came out of the room, closed the door then runs.

"Anong nangyari dun, di man lang nag greet." Sabi ko sa sarili ko.

Maya-maya pa ay na medyo kumalgkag naman yung door knob namin sa kwarto then inopen ni Imee ng Malaki.

"Happy burtday mami!" kanta ni Imee sa akin while holding the flowers.

Kasali na den yung little boy na naglilipsync lang sa manang niya while clapping tapos nagkaclap. Imee was holding the flowers while singing while Ferdie is just holding his bottle while clapping.

Thank you, God, for my two little cuties and wonderful kids. I said to myself na naiiyak.

They both kiss me and hug at, kumain na rin sila kasama ko.

"Ah, kaya pala madali mo tinapos yung kanta because you are doting on my cake kanina pa?" sabi ko kay Ferdie.

Ferdie looked at me with his cute eyes na parang aso then his hands making little claps, waiting for my approval if he can eat. I smiled at him then ayun, he grabbed a full hand of my cake then ate it.

"Haya, Ferdie, that's not how you eat a cake, you have to use spoon or fowrk!" sabi ng manang niya.

"That's how Imee ate cake when she was Ferdies age." Sabi ko naman kay manang.