01 - pilot

Mila's Pov

Mila's Pov
...........
9 years ago....

"Ah, Missus Violet, you are here to pick up Mi-" I watch my mother as she puts a finger to the lady's lips. "Rewind. I'm Ms. Violet."

The lady glances down at the clipboard and then back up. "But uhm, your marital status is-"

"-My marital status shouldn't depict what you address me as. I'm Ms. Violet. Try again." The lady takes a deep breath, practically shaking at this point, terrified of the fiery redhead in all black clothing, my wonderful mother...

"Ms Violet, you must be here to pick up Emilia..." The lady says while plastering on a big, fake smile.

"Yes. Get her." The lady stands deathly still, clearly uncomfortable. "What's your name?" My mother asks.

"Leah..."

"Pretty. Listen, Leila? Did you say? If you don't go get my daughter, I will barge in there myself. And I'm sure that manager of yours wouldn't quite tolerate that, would they?"

The lady shakes her head, skeptically eyeing my mother and scurrying into the little room I was in, ushering me out. "Emilia, your mom is here."

The lady hands me my backpack and my mother yanks at my hand, scowling at the lady. "Emilia, next time, don't make me go through that ratty little lady. You come straight out to mommy." I nod in understanding as she places me into the backseat of my dads car.

"Mommy has to make a phone call, okay? So just... block your ears." I never liked speaking, felt like too much effort even since a young age. Plus, I loved the silence.

I don't fully block my ears, I'd be naive if I did. Plus, I'm not stupid. My parents were in the mafia, no matter how much they tried to shield me from it. Hushed phone calls, security with us everywhere, blacked out windows and private school since I was little is a tiny bit of a giveaway.

Although they thought they were in the clear. That their nine year old daughter didn't know a thing, oh how wrong they were. I listened as she dialed a number in the front seat, turning down the volume just a little.

"This is Valentina Violet, can I please have Nathaniel?" The line went dead for a couple seconds, then my father picked up.

"Nathaniel. I've picked up Emilia..." I hear a sigh on the other end. "I've just got off the phone with Gabriel, he says that when they are both, officially 19 we can marry them. It'll make both the mafias stronger..."

My mother seems less than pleased, rubbing a hand over her forehead. "She deserves to find real love, Nathaniel."

"Just because we got the chance to, doesn't mean she'll have the same option. Carter is the most eligible man for her. He's strong, plays many sports, a genius and they are friends. It makes sense. Please just trust me with this Tina." I loved my parents, dearly.