34 - race

I absolutely hate this chapter but I promise the next couple will be better, sorry loves <3

.....
Carters Pov

"Mila, please, stay with me." I close the door to her dorm with the back of my shoe and place her down onto the bed, brushing the strands of hair away from her face.

"Everything will be fine." I whisper, over and over as she lays there. "Everything will be fine."

Why was she driving? Why is she crying? What made her break down?

I had so many questions and zero fucking answers. Harrison had told me I was insane when she didn't return after five minutes.

I even sent him the text message, she wouldn't go by herself, she would never lock the door a-and...I know her.

Harrison told me it was nothing, laughing to himself and said 'that sounds like something Blondie would say' He's her best friend, but he doesn't understand her like I do.

No one does. They can try, but I've always been there for her, whether she has noticed it or not. When she'd take a test and all I could do was watch her leg bounce up and down, or when I saw how much the whole marriage thing affected her, seeing the pain on her face at her dads funeral.

Everyone in this world notices Emilia Violet for who they assume she is and what she's like, but I'm the only one who knows Mila for exactly the type of person she is and will always be.

Something was off, something is off. Whatever she's breaking down over? I want it gone, I want it over and done with. I want Mila back.

I sit down on the bed beside her, holding her head to my chest and try to stop the crying , she'd passed out in the parking lot, which is when I realized something was wrong, wrong.

Eventually, the crying stops and I tilt her chin up to look at me. "Who did this to you?"

She shakes her head, letting more tears fall down her face. 'I'm not crying in front of you.'

She's said that to me two times now, and christ I don't want her to say it again. So I do my best to wipe the tears from under her eyes, placing a pillow beneath her head and interlocking my hand with hers.

"Tell me what's wrong, please." I'm just short of getting on my knees to beg, right when loud knocks are banging on her dorm.

I take off the jumper she's wearing and place it at the bottom of the bed before walking over and opening the door.

Two policemen stare back at me, both of them are armed and wearing those vest things with their badges at the ready.