31 - science

I know I say this a lot, but there's something abt this chapter that I'm incredibly proud of

.....
Carters Pov

"We could get high." Blair suggests, leaning her head back against the bookcase. Mon rolls her eyes and smiles.

Except she quickly looks at me before looking away, almost like she knows something she shouldn't. One thing about Mon, she's observant at the least suspected times.

Everyone stares at Blair and she puts up her hands in surrender. "It was just a joke."

I glance at Mila who's already looking at me. We exchange an unspoken conversation...it wasn't just a joke.

Though neither of us say that, I move away from my position guarding the door and sit on one of the desks. Mila sits beside me, holding on to my hand when she notices I'm uncomfortable.

"I'm bored." Ben says, throwing one of Bartholomew's tennis balls at the wall. Harrison sighs, rubbing his temple as the sound of the ball gets increasingly more annoying.

"Maybe we're the last people." Monica says but no one makes a move to check. After we managed to sneak out of the sports hall, despite little B's intrusion, Mila led us to this classroom.

Except we had been here for over an hour and everyone's patience was running thin. "Why don't we just make a run for it and if we get caught then we get caught?" Harrison speaks up and we all nod.

"Yeah, okay." I agree, squeezing Mila's hand before standing up and moving towards the door. Ben walks out ahead of me and we follow his lead.

We walk behind him, clinging to each other out of precaution. If one of us gets caught, we all do. We're all very scared of being separated.

"You wanna know something funny?" Mila whispers as we carefully move down the stairs and reach the bottom floor of our school.

Benny nods, not turning around to answer properly, so Mila continues. "We aren't the nitrogens anymore, we've gotta be like...the fluorine's."

Ben whips around to look at her, his mouth gaping open. "Oh wow, it's like the end of an era."

"Uhm...? I don't get it." Monica speaks up, shrugging at Ben, Harrison begins to explain. "We we're at this party and Rob came up with 'the nitrogens' to make fun of Mila and Carter because their thing is the periodic table. Nitrogen is the seventh-"

He gets cut off when a door opens from the main hall, everyone scatters, but Mila runs with me, back into the stairwell and out the back of the school. I don't break my hold on her hand, squeezing it tightly for comfort.