08 - zoo

Carters Pov

Carters Pov
.....

"You are not obliged to tell others your result, do not discuss it during class, please." Mr Beckford places each exam, face-down on peoples tables.

He finally reaches the back table where Mila and I are seated and glances between the two of us. "Remember you two, it's not a competition."

Emilia scoffs and holds out her hand. "I'll still win." Mr Beckford sighs and hands her the exam and then hands me mine.

100% Ha. I win.

I glance over to Mila as her eyes scan through the test, flipping pages like a maniac. "What'd you get?"

She presses a finger to my lips without looking in my direction, shushing me while she has an existential crisis, clearly.

I lean back on my chair, angling my head so I can see the bright red number on her test. 98%

"Better luck next time, my love."

She ignores me and begins to shove the rest of her things into her backpack. I let her huff and puff as I walk over to Blair's desk, stopping Blair and Bentleys bickering. "What did you guys get?"

"Mr Crawford... I told you to wait until after class." Blair rolls her eyes and flips Mr Beckford off when he turns his back.

"63%. But I'm younger than you guys, so it was a given." I nod and Bentley shows his paper.

"I got 82%, did better than Blair at least." He mutters and Blair slaps him on the arm, yanking his tie towards her. "Shut up."

They bicker as my eyes glide to Mila and I's desk. Her head is down slightly, still looking perplexed at how on earth she possibly could have got 98%.

To anyone else? An astronomical, out of this world result. But to Mila? Let's just say she wouldn't stop thinking about this for weeks.

Her eyebrows furrowed slightly as she fiddles with the ends of her hair. Pretty. She's pretty.

"Why are you looking at her like that..? You look like an idiot." Blair points out before I move my eyes away from Mila.

"If there's one thing that Emilia Violet isn't? Is that she is not fragile or broken. But that doesn't mean she doesn't try." Blair says when she notices me ignoring the question.

"I wasn't looking at her." She doesn't seem convinced as her and Bentley share a look. "You're a horrible liar Crawford."

Bentley says quietly, throwing his backpack over his shoulder as Robert pats me on the back. "See ya at training."