06 - blood

Was rereading this chapter and it's a little strange lmao

Was rereading this chapter and it's a little strange lmao...a bit out of character for the book and it's not really relevant, you can read it if you want but don't let it put you off the book because the rest of it is just not like this chapter at alllll.

Mila's Pov
.....

"Do you remember when we were little and we would aways get stuck taking care of Blair, so we would lead her out here, then spin her a couple times and sprint back into the house?" He asks and I can't help but burst out laughing.

He admires my face, smiling at the fact he made me laugh. "Oh god we were so mean to her. In fairness, I used to play house with her all the time. I'd be the mom and Blair would be the little baby." He twirls me and then dips my back, securely holding me to him.

"I remember watching you braid her hair for hours and hours because she was always so picky, still is." I smile at the memory, we truly were an awful trio.

"Blair was like a baby sister, but ten times more annoying..." I loved her until we stopped talking I suppose.

"And what about me?" He asks.

"You? I liked you for a while, then you decided marrying me was an option. So there wasn't much left to like..."

.....
Flashback
13 years ago

"You're pretty." He says while handing me a little pink flower, while I use everything in my power to not respond.

"What's your name?" He asks as I gather more sand, putting his pretty pink flower on the bench behind me. "You first." I reply, he seems unsure but eventually gains the courage to answer.

"Carter Crawford." I nod, returning to molding the sand. "It's your turn." Such an irritating little boy, my age, but still.

"Emilia. Emilia Violet. But my friends call me Vee." We fall into a silence before I take a look over at him, gathering sand to make his own castle. "This isn't a competition!"

I ignore his silly little antics, carving out little windows in my castle. "You're just mad that mine is better than yours."

"Fine... if you keep annoying me, I'll tell my mom." I stare him down, putting my bucket back on the sand. "You do that? Then I'll tell my dad."

His hazel eyes glared into mine before I held out my hand. "Truce?" Carter glances at my hand, then his interlocks with mine. "Deal."

.....
Present

"That was years ago, and it's not like my choice had much of an input, they knew we were getting married anyway. Whether I said yes or not. I was only nine." Oh he had a choice, he always had a choice.