6 | Outside the Walls

The walls separated us from the Titans for a reason. I knew that well.

Sure, first glance, it's beautiful, the clouds scattered across the multicoloured sky with birds soaring through the air, free of any worry. And that was about all that was amazing about outside the walls.

The moment you see those monsters running towards you without a single ounce of remorse on their faces as they bite off the heads of your comrades, you just can't look at that beautiful sky or the soaring birds the same anymore.

"Y/N, where's my horse?" Flagon questioned. "I whistled for it and it never came."

"He is simply still in a locked stall. I am still in the process of unlocking them all."

Once I said that, Furlan came running over. "I've finished unlocking all the stalls, Captain! Or—" He glanced at Flagon. "V-Vice captain— or, uh—"

"Just call her Y/N, for crying out loud." Flagon walked passed Cinder's stall and the stall door went flying into his side. "Ow!! Why you—!"

"Don't attack my horse."

He glared at me. "Since when were you giving me orders, huh? I'm getting my horse."

Furlan turned to me. "I've never seen you so asse—" He noticed my hands, intertwined in front of me and shaking. "Hey, are you okay?"

"I'm okay."

"Should I get my horse now?"

I nodded slowly and watched him run towards Sista's stall. Cinder nudged his nose against my shoulder and walked out of his stall, waiting for me to mount him.

I swung my leg over him and shook his reins, running towards the city and hearing Sista's hooves behind me.

"Group up with Flagon's team. I'm with Erwin."

"How ironic." He said sarcastically.

I glanced at him but didn't say anything more as we separated at the city's entrance.

"You're here." Erwin said. "I was expecting you to join Flagon's team to watch over the three."

I looked forward, my eyes set on the gate separating the city from the outside. My grip on my reins tightened, nervousness rising in my chest.

7 years, and this is the first time I can recall feeling so nervous.

Commander Shadis recited the same words he always does when we go out. I'm surprised I don't have it memorized.

And then the gates opened, all the horses flooding out.

In mere minutes, there were already Titans running our way. Erwin looked to me and nodded and I activated my ODM gear, flying off my horse and adjusting my grip on my blades.

Right at the nape of the neck and... slice. My blades tore through the skin of one Titan then the next, but I came to a stop when I noticed two going towards Flagon's team.

Cinder ran up to me and I got on, and he followed Erwin slowly as I watched one Titan fall to the ground at the hands of Levi.

Then another grabbed Isa out of the air and my hand immediately went back to my ODM gear, but Erwin put his hand over mine. "Wait."

Furlan flew in and sliced through the Titan's neck and they both landed on the ground.

The moment they did, I ran over. "Are you hurt?" I asked.

"Nah, I'm good!" Isa grinned. "Are you impressed or are you impressed?"

Erwin came up beside me. "You did good. But try not to use so much gas." I saw their expressions change.