14 | Annie

When we returned to headquarters, every single horse had followed me to the stables, leaving their own owners behind.

"You know what that means." Hange said to Erwin.

"I do. Tell the troops to not bother her for the time being." Erwin paused for a thought. "Except Levi. He's likely the only exception."

What did it mean?

It's a common thought that dogs can sense when their owners are feeling sad or angry or happy. But horses are the same. And, while they have official owners, I was their first.

Sometimes, these horses knew more about how I was feeling than I did. At this moment, I felt numb.

I felt Oluo's horse nuzzle my cheek from behind, then Eld's bury his nose in my palm. I wonder, do they know the terrible fate that befell their owners?

After leading all the horses to their respective stall, I stood in front of Cinder's with a frown. He noticed my expression and nudged at my forehead, then at my hand, still bandaged from my burn a few weeks ago.

I can't believe my only true interaction with Gunther was me burning myself from being startled.

I placed all the hay bales in place and poured water into the basins. Then quickly left.

When I got inside, I immediately heard the news. They're planning on arresting Eren.

•••

"Oi."

I looked up from my paperwork for the horses that previously belonged to fallen comrades to see Levi standing in the doorway of my office. "You should be resting."

"Who are you to tell me what to do?"

My quill paused on the paper, staining the sheet near the middle of the paper. "Indeed. I apologize."

He let out an annoyed sigh. "That's not what I meant. The Military Police are planning on arresting Erwin."

At the sound, I stood up, knocking over the small container of ink next to my hand. "But-" Then I paused, remembering the plan that Armin Arlert had thought of. "What did you wish to speak to me about?"

"You're the only one who'll be able to do this effectively. Evacuate the area around the entrance to the Underground City. When you finish that, come to me and Erwin."

I nodded. "Yes sir."

As he left, I stared down at the ink stained paper on my desk. That Female Titan.. Annie, she had taken away so many of my comrades. No backtracks, no shortcuts, no sidetracks. Evacuate the citizens. That's what I would do.

•••

"Move out in an orderly fashion!"

Many people knew me well. A young girl who was in trial for murder. And that's why they refused to disobey. Admittedly, I'd rather they listen to me because they respected me or they trusted me, but it worked out in the end anyway.

"M'am." A mother took my hands. "My children are somewhere in the streets! They play around in the neighbourhood and.. could you please find them?"

The order filtered through my ears and I placed my fist over my chest. "Yes m'am."

I ran through the streets, weaving through the evacuating crowds. Somewhere in the city, Erwin was with Levi, getting arrested.

Then I stopped, a rumble under my feet. And the sky was filled with lightning.