37 | Comrade

Hange was behind me, holding up Levi and allowing me to take charge. "Y/N. Erwin was right."

"I'm sorry?"

"He was right." She smiled. "One day, you would learn to follow your own head. And you did."

I looked down at her and nodded. "I guess so."

A nearby titan had begun sucking in air and I furrowed my brow. What was it doing?

Then, Zeke emerged. My grip on my blades tightened and I said to Hange in a low voice, "I'm very glad I could see you again, but we have to separate."

"Are you saying I should... leave you here?"

"Precisely. Jump into the river with Levi. It should lead you downstream towards the forest. I'll go back to save the cadets. They were captured by followers of Zeke as well, I assume?"

"Yes... but-"

"My horse ran into the forest. He's been trained to follow the scent of someone familiar, so he'll find you. On him, there's medical supplies and materials to make a small camp for one person."

"But you-"

"Hange." I turned to look at her. "I promise, I will see you again. Just treat Levi and wait out here."

After a few moments of contemplation, she nodded and jumped into the river.

Some Jaegerists heard the splash and turned. "They're getting away!"

I have learned that anger isn't something to be contained. It will pile and pile up until it bursts out all at once.

There are very few people who can make that happen.

Anger is the thing you keep inside, letting it settle, boil until it steams through your ears and finally explodes. Once it explodes, it is rage.

"Yes they are." I ran to the ones who raised guns to shoot into the water and plunged my blades into their chests.

Another aimed at me but the grappling hook of my ODM gear shot out and grabbed his chest, then was yanked out.

I ran forward and shot out my ODM gear again. The two hooks stabbed through two Yeagerists that had weapons in hand and I gripped the iron wires, spun them around, knocking over their comrades. Their boots were made of the thickest material we could muster so they wouldn't break on expeditions. A boot to the head could certainly kill.

I counted. 1... 2... 17... 18... Every single one for each and every death caused by Zeke, and how they could possibly dare to side with him after everything he has done.

My ears caught a cocking gun and I spun around, resetting my ODM gear. I sped forward and moved to the side, narrowly dodging a bullet, and sliced through his neck.

Floch appeared in front of me and I placed my swords in front of me, stopping his. My fingers went to the buttons that activated my gear and he jumped back before I could plunge them into his stomach.

I shook my head, shaking the raindrops out of my hair, only for more to fall into it.

My hope was shallow. I didn't know where Levi or Hange were, or even if they were okay.

With my shallow hope came overflowing despair. With that despair came rage. The scent of blood filled the air and dripped down my blades and from my gear. I felt the heart ache.

"How cold blooded..." I stopped, seeing Zeke in perfect condition despite supposedly being blown into pieces by the thunder spear. "Like always, you have always had a mechanical way of carrying out orders." Zeke said, staring at me. "Who ordered you to do such a heinous thing?"