9 | Trial

"Well then, let us begin, shall we?" The judge began. "You're Eren Yeager, correct? And you're a sworn soldier that would sacrifice his life if need be... Is that right?"

"Yes sir!"

Well, he knows how to act in court better than me.

But the usual laws don't really work well in this situation. There were no real acts of treason committed, and everything is simply speculation as far as I'm concerned. So in the end, it's just whatever the generalissimo decides based on what he thinks is right.

It puts Eren in a tighter spot than most.

"As expected, it has been proven impossible to keep your existence under wraps from the general public. To some, you're their saviour and guide to hope. To others, you're a demon that will be our undoing. When your existence is properly announced, it will signify emergence of a possible new threat other than Titans. We're here to decide which military division you will be entrusted to."

And whichever one he goes to is like a decision between life and death.

"Let's hear what the military division has to say first."

"Chief of the Military Police, Nile Dawk, reporting. We think that immediate disposal is in order once research on Eren's body is concluded. The people of importance regard him as a threat. Yet, in this situation, those people, including royalty, still stick to their non interference policy with regards that do not directly concern the innermost lands."

Ah, so that's the reason I used to get so many hits on royalty.

"However, that provokes a raising discontent among people who consider Eren a hero—mainly resident of Wall Rose's settlements and those with connections to business companies. This has the possibility of causing a civil war over the territories, which will also be left to us."

Eren gave him a perplexed look, quiet but nonetheless with presumably many questions.

"I acknowledge it was his Titan power that was the deciding factor in repelling the Titan attack the other day." Nile continued. "I also have to acknowledge that his existence is far from harmless. Simply his existence has gained too much political weight. So, after gleaning as much information on him as possible, the least we can do for him is to say his death was a sacrifice for humanity."

I was a bit dumbfounded. Yet, I couldn't quite identify what was making me so unnerved. But it was also was compiled with feelings of annoyance and frustration. Especially with the pastor that didn't have to be there in the first place.

"There's no need for that. He is a vermin who tricked the divine wall, bestowed upon us by the lord's wisdom, and invaded our land. He must be executed without further ado."

Pastor Nick, one of the many pastors that thought the walls were a whole religion. I did assassinate one at some point. When I was 13, I believe.

"Pastor Nick, to order, please. Next, let's hear the opinion of the scouting legion."

"Yes sir." Erwin straightened up. "The 13th Commander of the Scouting Legion, Erwin Smith, reporting. We officially ask Eren to join us and use his Titan power to help us return Wall Maria back to the human race. That is all."

I was expecting him to have a lengthy speech, or multiple points on why Eren is a source of hope to humanity. But he simply said his intentions. Levi and I glanced at each other, then back at the generalissimo.