33 | Devils

I've been called a beast before. A phantom. A poison.

It didn't hurt when 'devil' was added to that list.

They weren't underlined like Songbird and Flower, so I didn't care for them.

Four years, nearly half a decade, and I'd like to say nothing changed. Of course, that would be a lie. I wish they did. But the seeds of the past were planted and have now grown into trees looming their shadows over us.

Turns out that Blade was right: you can be too young for the truth. Suddenly, that truth makes you think that you've grown, when you're really just standing in the same spot as before.

Immaturity and wisdom don't go together. Hence, truth is not given to those who are immature, for they will not be wise with it.

That does not mean we feed them lies. Naturally, that's what some humans do to the young. Lie and lie and lie until it sounds like the truth. That doesn't help them mature, but it definitely gives them a goal. A goal to vouch for those lies.

We on this island are devils. We, as in the kind girl that gave to the poor and needy when she became queen. We, as in the bright young boy who wanted to see the ocean. We, as in the girl who befriended animals. We, as in the man that dreams of opening a tea shop.

When we opened that letter from Eren from all the way across the ocean, I couldn't help but wonder just how devilish we can become. Or perhaps we'd be angels in the battle between heaven and hell.

Who am I kidding? Neither place is heaven.

"Y/N, to the right!" Levi warned.

I jumped on the building to my right and pulled out my blades, slicing through the soldiers aiming to shoot at me, grabbing one by the neck and using him as my shield to hide from bullets to my left until Levi eliminated them.

"I thought that was my move." He said once he perched next to me.

I looked down at the streets full of cowering citizens, running for their lives from this unfamiliar entity, Eren. It wasn't unwarranted. I noticed children, elderly, and everyone in between crushed under the rubble Eren had created upon transformation.

"Come." Levi ordered and I followed him across buildings. "Inform me of anyone approaching."

We made our way towards what I believe to be the centre of the town and we saw Eren picking up a crystal with a person inside; the user of the Warhammer Titan. One of the eight forms.

"Levi." I alerted him. "There is a titan coming at rapid speed."

"And intelligent one?"

"It's moving too precisely to be an abnormal."

As I finished that, a titan that seemed to have a beard pounced on Eren's titan's back and bit at his neck. The Jaw Titan. "Stay here." Levi said before swinging over to it with his usual speed.

The Jaw Titan ripped itself off of Eren's back and began running off.

"Y/N, go all out." Levi instructed.

I pulled out my blades again and swung down towards the speeding titan, then stopping when I heard something being loaded up in the distance. I swung into one of the buildings as missiles pierced through my subordinates that didn't notice the attacker.

A titan on all fours. I recognized its face: The Cart Titan from four years ago. The one that assisted the Beast Titan in getting away.

"Hey," Levi landed next to me and put his hands on my shoulders. "Are you hurt?"