23 | Snap

"So there is someone who has surpassed you." I say once Levi finishes his explanation.

I can certainly imagine living and being trained by a serial killer, however, Levi's lack of knowledge on him was peculiar. How can one be so detached from someone that they don't know anything about them, despite living in the same household?

I lift my hand and Levi allows me to speak. "I never got the chance to ask this, but is there a reason you and Mikasa have the same last name?"

"What do you mean?"

"I used to be told of every relationship within the walls, and I don't recall ever seeing other families that have the surname 'Ackerman,' Kenny included. Are any of you related?"

Levi and Mikasa looked at each other. "Not that I know of." He said.

"I see. I apologize for the intrusion."

•••

We stepped into the church and Levi put his arm in front of the cadets. "Let her walk first. Y/N, go ahead."

I nodded and stepped forward. Everyone was silent and still. I gentle tapped my foot against the floor and listened to the quiet echoes and felt the vibrations traverse through the floor. "There is a trapdoor that leads beneath the building."

"Are you able to determine how many people there are?"

"I'm not close enough. There is simply a gap in the floor over there." I pointed to a carpet in the church and Hange ran over to it. "She's right. There's a trapdoor here."

"Nice job." Levi followed suit and helped Hange open the trapdoor.

"Quite the senses you have." Jean noticed.

I stood next to Levi and peered down into the trapdoor.

I scratched at the skin of my thumb, thinking about the people who may be in there. Historia's father, Kenny the Ripper... Cinder.

"Hey," Levi nudged my arm. "if you ever feel the need, destroy everything in your path."

He's never given me such instructions before. They're normally something vague, followed by something specific that I need to do along with that.

Now, he simply said to do what I see fit.

I would've responded with a question, but in such circumstances, my closer relationship to Levi than the others was quickly pushed aside.

The door was kicked open and barrels with gas canasters attached were rolled down the steps.

We ran in as Sasha raised her flaming arrow, aiming at the gas canasters and let smoke arise.

"Are you going to be okay?" Levi questioned before going off. "Is the smell overwhelming?"

"I'll be fine." My eyes darted around, trying to see through the thick smoke drifting in the air.

"Tell me how many there are."

I sat down behind the safety of Armin and Sasha's coverage, my eyes shut as I listened. For a moment, everything went quiet, then it was as if I was in a cave, sounds bouncing off the walls and filtering through my ears.

Crackling flames.

Footsteps.

Quiet, panicked breaths.

Whispers.

"35." I say, earning a nod from Levi.

He and some of the cadets fanned out. I stayed with Hange and Armin. If I went amongst the smoke, my senses would be overwhelmed and I'd simply be a nuisance.

"Here." Armin handed the other bow to me with a few arrows. "Captain Levi told me to give this to you since you're a good shot."

I nodded and pulled back on the string, holding the arrow between my fingers. Confirm the distance. Find a direct target. And... fire.

The arrow shot through the smoke and I heard the faint puncture of skin.

However, I knew I wasn't really needed. Levi and Mikasa are considered beasts in and of themselves. Ironic, how they share both a last name and such otherworldly prowess.

I heard a cry out of pain, one I recognized all too well.

"Did you hear that?" I perked up at the noise, questioning my own ears and asking for confirmation from Sasha and Armin.

"I did..." Sasha's eyes widened. "Captain!"

I followed her gaze and watched Hange crash into one of the pillars and plummet down to the ground.

Have you ever heard a snap? So faint, quiet life leaves brushing against the ground amongst the autumn air, that you wonder if you even heard it at all?

It feels as if the world has gone dark and all you can hear is dripping, blood from the rim of a glass that has held all your sins and you finally watch it overflow. And suddenly, you don't care if it breaks and blood splatters.

That... is what I felt in that moment.

If you ever feel the need, destroy everything in your path.

A blade in my hand did not fear piercing skin. Nor did I.

I don't remember the rush of air trying to stop me from getting to the one who dared to hurt Hange.

I don't remember anyone screaming at me to stop. Maybe there wasn't anybody.

But I do remember Levi's words. "Get out of her way."