25 | Power

I've heard many terrible ideas in my time as a comrade to Levi and Erwin. But good god, I have never heard an idea as bad as this one.

Seeing as the titan was directed towards a large chunk of humans based on its instinct, the people in the confines of Wall Sina would attract it, thus making it break through the wall. Therefore, the titan has to be taken care of outside of the Orvud District.

The problem I had with it is that humans were being used as bait. A lure. Like worms on a fishing pole.

I shifted my weight from leg to leg, trying to hide my concern.

"I know this may be a sensitive subject for you." Hange said to me. "But this is the best plan I can think of right now."

I nodded in obedience and took my position.

•••

As I stared down at the land beyond the wall, I wondered what it would look like if there were no titans and humans inhabited it.

Would it be like the bustling streets of the city? Or would it remain barren, out of fear of too much growth?

I glanced to the cadets and gripped the fabric of Levi's clothes, my finger aiming in Historia's approaching figure.

He clicked his tongue in annoyance and strayed from me, ready to scold her.

As he did, I gazed upon the land one more time, tainted with the presence of a titan. Even if she weren't supposed to be here, Historia had no time to flee. The titan was far too near.

I clamped my hands over my ears as canons fired at the titan's nape, although it was a useless action.

"Y/N, look through the smoke." Erwin instructed. I squinted, trying to spot any ounce of blood coming from the titan's body, and shook my head. "The attempt is proving futile."

"I see."

The gathered soldiers were of little experience with titans, and canons were not the preferred weapon used to eliminate them.

"Erwin! I brought it!" Hange called as she ran towards us. "All the remaining explosives, rope, and netting. We still have to prepare it."

I eyed the explosives and rope resting atop the spread out net.

"And then 'this.'" Hange motioned to a barrel with an explosive and ODM gear attached. "Once fired, the triggers will be fixed and it'll wind up, just like our gear. So what of the canon fire?"

Levi saved no formalities. "As effective as a bit of piss."

"So we're really going to use 'this,' then?"

Erwin's commanding tone took over his voice. "Alright, Levi, Jean, Sasha, Connie. I'll leave the other side to you."

"Understood!"

I stood near Historia, teaching her the most effective knots and techniques as she assisted with assembling the explosives, which were to be used as a blunt weapon for Eren.

"I'm going to be frank." Erwin appeared behind us. "Historia, after we make it through this, you're going to be the Queen that rules this walled world. Naturally, I'd rather you not go to the front lines."

She stared up at him for a moment and handed me the rope she was setting up.

"I have doubts. Will the populace really flock to embrace someone who is a ruler in name only?"

For me, the monarchy was always a silly set up. It is an organization set by fate alone, and titles are provided to blood and not deed. But Historia... I would not be against kneeling before her.