29 | Life

My blades swore to protect the lives of the horses I trained, never missing their mark no matter how recklessly I swung.

"Y/N, to your left!" I heard Levi call and my head snaps in the titan's direction, practically flailing my sword at its nape and nearly crashing down with it before Levi caught me. "You're messy."

"My apologies." I wiped splattered blood from my face. I gazed over the area void of titans and clicked my tongue, placing my swords back on my belt.

What a bore, that was. At least when humans die, they seem to fight, rather than flop to the ground like a discarded article of clothing.

"Let's move forward." Levi said as he tugged on my uniform. "There's more still chasing the horses."

"Yes sir." I glanced one more time at a decaying titan corpse, staring up at me with large eyes, perhaps lifeless, but was it ever emotionless?

I still wonder if titans have last thought. If there's an ounce of consciousness still within them, telling themselves to stop without the ability to do so. What a shame, that would be.

My head swirls around the thought for a moment before I spotted one of the titans trying to grab hold of one of the horses. My ODM gear clung to its head and I swung towards it, slicing through its skin.

On the other side of the wall, I heard a rumble, sounds of a brawl never to allow a living creature within its vicinity to slumber.

Eren and Reiner fought once again, their fight never seeming to actually end, but rather stem from another.

A grudge held so strongly that the fight never ends. What will happen in the next month? The next year? The next four years? Will their fight continue into another land, another time, until they've fought on every battlefield?

I saw the way my blades dulled and stopped on the roof of a building, staring at my reflection. Well, half of my reflection.

Levi stopped next to me and placed replacements for my blades next to me. "What's going on in your head right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"You don't seem focused at all."

I stood up, glancing at the large titan that had thrown rocks in the direction of the wall's exit. "My mind is simply straying."

A loud roar suddenly sounded through the air and I covered my ears, turning to the wall at the same time as Levi, both our eyes widening in recognition.

"Is that... the Armoured Titan roaring?" He questioned and I nodded, lowering my hands from my ears. "Did they not fire the thunder spears yet?"

I took in a breath through my nose and shook my head. "I smell smoke." I turned back to Levi. "The plan didn't work."

A barrel from the titan with a cart on its back was hurled over the wall.

"What do you think was in there?" I asked, knowing full well what it was.

"You're smart enough to know."

The Colossal Titan. I had thought that he was going to turn into a titan midair, but I heard no transformation and the sky didn't light up.

I made my way up to Erwin, perching myself on the top of the wall to get a better view.

Erwin placed his hand on my shoulder. "Can you see much from your position?"

I squinted, seeing figures swing around the area. "I can't properly identify each person." But even before I could even attempt at naming each person, an explosion that made the clouds separate and smoke burst into the sky came into my vision.