26 | Strength

I gazed at the scaffold from my standing at the window, where Historia stood with the commanders of each military legion surrounding her.

The crown was placed upon her head and I could hear the fanfare through the glass, cheers of joy and praise to their new queen.

The commanders of all the legions knelt before her and at once, I knew that she would make a beautiful addition to the line of rulers this walled world had.

"You favoured her, didn't you?" Levi questioned, glancing back at the ceremony.

"She was tolerable."

"What, you think the rest of them are brats?"

I didn't answer that one. My allegiance as a member of the Scouts was to the queen, therefore I would rather it be her. I'm sure Levi understood that without me saying it to him.

He put his hand on my shoulder. "Let's start heading down so we can greet them."

•••

I saw Historia and the others walking down the hall and Levi stepped towards the centre of the hallway.

She trembled a bit with quiet whimpers and I tilted my head. I almost asked what was the matter until she came running towards Levi with an attempted battle cry.

He pivoted and her fist hit his arm with a small sound of impact, quickly followed with her former comrades screaming in fear, although they did nothing against him.

A dry and nervous laugh left her. "How do you like that? Coming from your Queen? If you got a problem-"

Their faces contorted into a new type of fear as Levi cracked a smile.

"Thank you.. all of you."

I stared from my position behind him and pursed my lips. "Levi, I think they would've been less fearful if you just hit her rather than smiled."

"Oh, what's it to you?" He poked my ear with a slight tease and I shrunk away.

"Um, Y/N?" Historia began in a small voice. "May I talk to you for a moment?"

I nodded and strayed from Levi to follow Historia to a corner of the building. She smiled in my direction, a bright, beautiful smile that I couldn't bare to look away from. "Y/N, do you know how wise you are?"

"Pardon me?"

"You're very wise... and kind."

I shook my head. I didn't know whether I was refusing or whether I was saying that I wasn't aware of those traits.

"Do you think you could help me, as an advisor?" She asked, staring out the window. I raised my brows, unsure of my answer. "Of course, you can have someone help you." Historia assured. "I know that you're unsure of a lot of your decisions."

I rubbed the back of my neck, recalling every decision I've ever made. I don't know how well I'll be able to advise her, especially on such a grand scale.

My hesitancy was evident on my face so Historia gave me a punch like she did to Levi, although more gently and less audible. "Don't worry! When you make a mistake, you can learn from it! I just want someone rational but also kind."

I pursed my lips, tracing my hand over a whipping scar trailing from the base of my neck and down my back: an eternal reminder of the terrible decisions I've made in the past.

But, I bowed, hiding my expression from Historia. "I would be honoured."

She smiled again. "I assume you will be asking Levi to accompany you?"