Stars

I know this is like super soon lol but I wrote this last night and I liked it so here (sorry it's so short) hope you all enjoyyyyy and happy reading =3= <3

It was dark out, the moon was waning to only a silver in the night sky. Stars glittered above Yuma, though they were unfamiliar, they brought him some comfort. A soft click alerted him to the door opening. Who would be joining him on the roof this time? The familiar padding of feet against concrete brought a smile to Yuma's face. It was Osamu then.

The boy joins Yuma, laying down next to him. "What are you thinking about?" Yuma searches the darkness before Osamu's hand finds his own.

"The stars." The night sky is bright with them, forming a river of light. "What are you still doing up?"

Osamu rubs his thumb against Yuma's hand. He shifts a bit closer at the touch, resting his head on Osamu's shoulder. "Just couldn't get to sleep."

That's not a good sign. "What are you worried about?" Yuma gives his hand a small squeeze, he really hates it when Osamu worries. Half the time it isn't even something that should worry him in the first place.

This makes Osamu laugh. "Why is that the first thing you ask?" His chuckles fade, before he lets out a deep sigh. "You're right of course..."

Yuma just lays there, waiting for the answer he knows will come.

"I was thinking what would happen if you left." Yuma tries not to show any reaction, but he stiffens all the same. This could be a touchy topic depending on Osamu's definition of 'left'.

"Most people hate Neighbors here, it can't be easy listening to it all day... I was just thinking, what if one day you got tired of Earth and went back to the Neighborhood." His voice is practically a whisper by the end, but Yuma doesn't have to strain to hear it. The night is a calm one, their voices the only other noise besides that of the river.

Yuma's smile softens and he leans his head on Osamu's shoulder, "Trust me, what they say doesn't bug me. All they've had is bad experiences. Makes sense."

Osamu doesn't say anything. The quiet shush of cars in the distance can be heard if Yuma strains his ears in the quiet of the night.

"You didn't say you wouldn't leave." Osamu's voice cracks at the end, and Yuma's heart cracks with it, hurt that he was caught in his words, and hurt that he'd caused Osamu pain.

He can't answer right away, his eyes too itchy with unshedable tears. "I don't think I'll ever leave Medeen Osamu, not unless it's on the away team with the rest of the team," he smirks, "Can't get rid of me that easily."

Osamu chuckles, relief making his body sag. "I would never dream of getting rid of you." He nuzzles into Yuma's fluffy hair. Osamu's eyes drooped; with all the worry lifted from his shoulders, exhaustion hit him like a truck.

As Osamu's breathing slowed, Yuma's smile turned bitter. Who knew how long he had left? Certainly not Yuma himself, though he had a feeling he'll know right before.

He just hopes he doesn't scare Osamu too much when the inevitable occurs. Or the rest of his friends. But from the reassuring pats Jin has been giving Yuma, he knows it isn't anytime soon.

So for now, he lets himself breathe and just... be. At least he has this time with his friends. And honestly, he couldn't ask for anything more.