5- Cake

I shuffle around in my bed, unable to sleep. My heart's pace steadied but my fear has not yet subsided. I hoped I would never remember that stupid test again. But maybe I have never forgotten about it. Maybe I've been pushing it to a shelf in my mind.

I suddenly feel like I'm going to explode if I keep lying down. I get out of my bed and put my shoes on. The clock read 4:37 A.M. I think Trix said we have to start the day at 6:00. I've have plenty of time to do anything but rest. Awesome.

I roll my eyes at the thought.

I walk as quietly as I can past the other initiates' beds and open the heavy door into the hall. When the door is completely shut, I start walking in no obvious direction. I feel like a robot being controlled by a remote.

Was the human I had mistaken for a monster controlled like a robot, too? Set out by remote control to run to me? I wasn't even sure he or she was attacking me. And now, I'll never really know. Because of four unreal bullets, I feel immense guilt. All because of a test that is made to define me, I feel like I've commited crime.

I'm so strangled in my thoughts, I jump when I hear footsteps. Looking around, searching for anyone who sees me raises my anxiety.

I chuckle and feel so incompetent when I realize it's the echoes of my own shoes. I'm at the chasm. I sigh and walk to the metallic bridge. I put my hands on the rails and look over to the dark, roaring water. The chasm is beautiful and the noise of the water could probably put me to sleep. Then I remember how Four said people have jumped to their deaths here. It may be a beautiful sight, but it's dangerous.

I spot movement from the corner of my eye. My heart nearly falls into the chasm. Eric is about 10 feet away.

I try to look confident and anything but scared though I fail. I say nothing as he looks at me, arms crossed, standing with his back against the cold, gray wall. His gray eyes stare back at me and then he raises his eyebrows expectantly. I'm mute and fidgeting and I can't talk. Eric clears his throat.

I look down at the rails under my sweaty palms. "I could- couldn't sleep anymore and I- I..."

"Decided to break a rule and get out of the dormitory?" His eyes are dark but with this lighting, I see the slightest bit of gold in his pupils. I look at his crossed arms that I could swear are flexed. When I look back at him, an egoistic smirk is on his face. I blush while wishing and hoping -hoping- my chest doesn't look like I'm heaving for oxygen.

"If it's a rule, then- then why are you here?" Am I trying to make myself feel better? Because I completely miss when I see Eric walking slowly to me, arms crossed, smirk gone. I try not to panic or look away as he approaches. I swallow quietly as I look up at his tilted face.

"I'm a Dauntless leader. I make the rules." He is way too close to me and I can smell his breath. Is that chocolate cake? I struggle to swallow my hysteric laughter. I can't find the fear I had of him in me anymore. Was I expecting his breath to smell like blood or something? Eric looks down at me, confused. His eyebrows are knit together while I try so hard to suppress my laughter.

"What are you guys doing? Eric?" Four saves the day as Eric turns around and looks at him. I bite my tongue and hide my smile. "I was just going back to the dormitory. Broke the rule. Sorry."
My words fly out of my face, making me blush again. I walk quickly away from Eric and to the dormitory. I close the door behind me, giggling quietly. I walk to my bed past everyone else and take my shoes off.

It's 4:58 in the morning. I lay down, remembering the sounds of the chasm. I drift into sleep, thinking about chocolate cake and breath mints.