Chapter 1: Orchid

Orchid, Lily and Lavender, the three mantis sisters, the most powerful warriors of the whole tribe, the absolute example of everything a mantis should be: Powerful, cold and ruthless. It was not surprising that they were the leaders of the tribe, although what did attract attention was that they had lasted so long in power with so many challenges they had received.

Lonely males and females, couples, and brothers, from time to time presented themselves to challenge the Lords and claim the thrones, but on each occasion they had been defeated by the overwhelming power of the sisters, they had no comparison.

During all their years they had only lost once, nothing less than against a child outside the tribe. That young warrior of short stature but great value earned their respect and recognition, not only from them, but from the whole tribe. Since then, each mantis had to bow down before him every time he was in front and for a long time, that was something usual. The little silent warrior every so often visited them, he said nothing, just gave them a penetrating look, as if something wanted to communicate with those deep black eyes.

Orchid, the youngest of the mantis was always intrigued by those eyes. It looked like an empty look, but she could see inside it a deep determination, a fire that seemed to burn her soul, but at the same time, she felt something dark, scary, abnormal, powerful and suffocating. She shuddered every time she saw him. He was a monster, one of small size and harmless look, but he wasn't going to cheat on her. But she couldn't do anything, he was more powerful, she just could to look down and make a reverence. Quite grateful she must be that the monster was peaceful and had forgiven their lives.

But the memory of the silent monster was slowly buried in the back of her mind. She never talked to her sisters about him and his sudden disappearance contributed to this. She focused on her present, her rivals and her search for a worthy companion.

The mantis did not have what was called marriage, nor did they develop many emotional ties, it was something seen as a feature of weakness, there was no love between them. They used to choose a couple almost exclusively to procreate and they were usually guided by power and strength That it showed. Orchid was still young, but she already watched with dissimulation possible candidates. However, being one of the most powerful members of the tribe, finding a male to match her in strength would be complicated.

But a couple was not something she looked forward to eagerly, as she just wanted to make sure she had strong descendants and perhaps a powerful opponent to fight with regularly. But as much as she was looking for, no male was at her level.

But fate is capricious and unpredictable, it twists in strange ways surprising with its unexpected turns.

One day, out of the blue, that mysterious insect that had challenged them to duel a couple of years ago made their way into the mantis village. After so much absence, it was a surprise to see him again. Many did not recognize him, as he had changed, he looked different, but something in his aura and his presence removed old memories betraying his identity.

For each place that he walked a mantis bowed before him, showing their respect. The mysterious insect advanced through the streets of the place without stopping to look at the curious mantis that watched him from nearby. Something urged him to move quickly through the village and reach Deepnest. What would it be? They would never know, if there was something that had remained the same in this being, it was their eternal silence.

However, he did stop to greet the Mantis Lord. The throne room was in the deepest area of the village, bordering on the entrance to that dark area, so seeing the lords was mandatory. And as this warrior's education forced him to show respect to the leaders, as soon as he was in front of the ladies he bowed to them.

For the Lords it was a surprise, at first they thought it was an intruder, or a new challenger who would give them a good battle. But when the bug raised his head and looked at them they recognized him.

The little silent warrior had grown a lot, now he was a handsome insect, thin-bodied but strong-looking, he had a pair of magnificent horns, and an air of royalty enhanced by the beautiful cloak he wore. The little child had grown to become a splendid adult.

Orchid did not like to be reunited with that spot of his past. Maybe her sisters had accepted that defeat with pleasure and philosophy, but she hadn't. She was proud and arrogant, and always hated to think she ever lost. She wanted to be able to challenge this insolent warrior to put him in his place and clear her history of battles so bad, but instead she had to bow down to him. She felt very upset.

But then she caught his gaze, those empty eyes that so impressed her had changed. It was hard to describe it but it seemed full, warm but not suffocating. The fire that used to inhabit it now seemed like a calm lake in which she wish she could submerge.

The young mantis' heart began to shake as a strange and unknown sensation swept through her, heat invaded her face, she felt tickle in her abdomen and her legs trembled slightly.

But that was an instant, soon the warrior without saying a word, moved away from the throne room into the darkness of Deepnest.

Orchid looked at him until his silhouette was lost, swallowed by the blackness of that horrible cave. Then a melancholy settled in her heart along with a longing to see him again.

Damn, damn, a thousand times damn that silent warrior. Orchid would never forgive him, not only had he taken a victory, now he also provoked the mental illness that had meant the destruction of so many mantis, including her niece. But she was strong, she would not succumb to it, she would soon forget him, resume her routine, remain many years occupying the throne of the mantis and find a male who give her powerful descendants.

Yes, that would be her future, she had decided it. And she would keep this as a dark secret at the bottom of her heart. She would never admit that she was ever in love.