Chapter 42: War

The war was unleashed in the mantis territory, dozens of insects fought each other with a brutality of which only this species was capable. Screams and curses plagued the air of Fungal Wastes, drowning out the groans of those dying on the ground, while the scent of fresh blood was such that it was nauseating. It was a fierce scene that represented the nature of these creatures well, but even the mantises had a limit, nobody wanted to continue reaping the lives of fellow species, many even wondered if this was all right, if there was no other way to fix the things.

And among the many who questioned the situation, was Lavender, who helplessly waited in her room along with her eggs for news. Barely a day had passed since the war broke out and the effects were already being felt. She had recently been informed of the deaths of some companions she held dear, lives that she would never get back, deaths that could have been prevented if she were able to maintain power. She was frustrated not being able to get up and go fight to end the conflict once and for all, she just wanted to end all this madness.

"My lord..."

A male voice called her attention, after turning to the front door, she found Tash who was looking at her gravely, behind him Lily entered her room.

"What's going on?" From the gravity of their expressions, she sensed that the message they wanted to deliver was not good.

"The battle is very close, neither side surrenders, in fact, I would almost say that our enemies have the advantage." Lily was definitely worried. "Lavender... Even if you join the battle, I don't know if we can win."

"I see..."

"But what are you saying? Of course we can win!" Tash waved his claws to emphasize his words. "You are the Lords! You can beat all those rebels! You just have to fight and ignore their silly proposals."

"Proposals? What proposals?"

"The rebels have made a proposal to stop the attack," Lily explained. "They want us to surrender, to leave the throne and sacrifice ourselves, in return they offer to stop this stupid war and ensure the protection and raising of Lavender's eggs."

The mantis glanced at her future offspring, the idea of ensuring their future seemed too tempting. Her priorities were clear in her mind, taking care of her own was the most important thing, if she insisted on fighting and clinging to power, perhaps her little ones would be damaged, plus many lives of brave warriors would be lost, but if there was a way to end all this mess fast...

"No Lavender. Tell me you're not considering it!" Tash yelled. "We can win and you know it!"

"But at what cost? My people are warriors and never give up, you know it well, I don't want to see them decimated, I don't want my tribe to be reduced to a handful of mantises just because of my stubbornness, on the other hand, how long could this disaster last ? Do you want our children to be born in times of war? That everyone's children should suffer unnecessary hardships? At least I don't want that and... A leader must know when to retire."

"But Lavender! Leaving power means death for you and your sister!"

"If the lives of two mantises save many more, so be it."

"No... I don't accept it."

Tash looked down and trembled in his site, Lavender stiffened, from what she knew him, she feared a backlash.

"Tash, you must understand, this is for the future of our children. This is how it should be."

"For their future? For what future!? For me there is no future if you are not in it!" He screamed revealing the tears that fell from his eyes.