Chapter 19: The Three Children

In a cozy cave in the lower area of Deep Nest, the spider queen and her consort were waiting anxiously and happily for the midwife to finish checking on her children

Hornet was beaming with joy, humming a cute song as her hands deftly tangled her silk to make way for the creation of beautiful clothing, specifically children's clothing.

Most spiders used to prepare their children's trousseau before they were born, after all, all spiders were the same shape and roughly the same size at birth. But in Hornet's case, the appearance of her children was a mystery and she had no way of knowing what kind of clothing would be appropriate for them, so now they were born, she was weaving at least one outfit for each one at full speed. Quirrel looked at her admiringly, Hornet loved knitting (he knew it very well, he had many more scarves, capes and blankets than he really needed), but now she seemed to enjoy it more than ever.

He sighed at the thought of the mountain of clothes she would make for the little ones, her children could meet any type of need, but they would never be cold.

Suddenly they noticed that the midwife was approaching them with the little spider in her arms. Both came to listen to what she had to say about the newborn.

"Congratulations to both of you, and especially you Hornet, you have brought a perfect spider princess into the world, of course ignoring the fact that she only has four eyes and 6 limbs. But they are more than enough to survive."

"Then it's okay? She's healthy?"

"Sure, she's healthy and she's strong. She appears to have inherited her grandmother's genes. From what I have seen she will be large, she could be close to Herrah's size.

Hornet blinked in surprise, that was more than she expected, considering that neither she nor Quirrel were very tall. But if the little girl had gotten her grandmother's genes it was a great thing. She would have no trouble imposing respect around her and she could easily rule. Although the idea of her baby getting so big that she could carry her it made her a little uncomfortable. She sighed somewhat overwhelmed, as soon as the princess was ready to be queen, she would abdicate in her favor and go to live a quiet life in Bocasucia, although that still lacked many years.

"Come here, little one," Hornet spread her arms and the midwife gave her her daughter, "so you're going to be a very big girl, huh? Surely, and also you will be a good weaver".

"You have a good chance with that." the midwife corroborated, reaching out and touching the end of the girl's body from which she extracted a small strand of silk. "The quality of her silk is exceptional. It is firm, soft and very bright. She will impose respect among other spiders with such a material, although it will depend on her that transforms her silk into category clothing".

"I'll teach you everything I know, in a few years you'll be weaving clothes as beautiful as this one I made for you".

She pulled out the cloak she had knitted for the baby. It was very similar to the one she wore herself, but obviously a proper size for the girl, which covered her torso but left her spider abdomen exposed. Since she had just knitted it, it was white, but she intended to dye it, she had an intuition that a soft red would suit her.