Chapter 35: sawproof babysitter

This was the last day of Hollow's vacation and the last day Orchid would be unoccupied before beginning her new life as an official inhabitant of Hallownest Heart. It had taken her a couple of days to assume that she would never return to the Fungal Wastes. In the bottom of her heart she still had hope, one that manifested itself through her dreams, where she saw herself defeating the hunter and cutting off one of his claw to take it home as proof of her victory, then she woke up excited at that prospect, but as she sat on her bed, looking at the fine furniture, the silk sheets, and the gleaming walls, she knew it was just an illusion that would never come true.

Despite how depressed she was, she hid it quite well, Big being the only one who noticed the problem. As an expert when it came to hiding feelings, it was not easy to deceive him and he became a great emotional support for the mantis, which she was very grateful, Hollow was a very sweet and nice person, but sometimes he was a bit clumsy in that sense, although she did not stop recognizing his determination to help her, probably triggered by the jealousy that Big caused him.

The situation between the brothers was something that Orchid was extremely confused about, she knew that Hollow was in love with her with all that that implied, but Big's feelings and intentions were a mystery. His tender actions and his gestures of kindness he had not it with other people and it were an unmistakable sign of his affection for the mantis. But how intense was that love? Orchid had no hesitation or embarrassment in asking directly.

"Big, do you love me?" Big was surprised by the sudden question, but he had no hesitation in answering.

"Sure, why do you ask? Are you afraid that I will kick you out of the castle?"

"No, it's not that... It's just that... You... You know I'm something like Hollow's girlfriend, right?"

"Yes..."

"And is that okay with you? Doesn't it bother you if I'm his partner? He loves me too."

"The fact that he loves you doesn't stop me from doing it, and I'm sure that with time you'll win the affection of many others, I think Ogrim and Kairi are starting to like you."

"I don't mean that .." She gathered her courage for what she was going to do, it was a daring question, but she needed to be extremely direct with this to clear her doubts. "Doesn't it bother you that I sleep with Hollow sometime? Aren't you jealous of that?"

"Jealousy? Not really, I'm very big and sleeping with someone would be a problem, and I also like my solitude and privacy, sharing a bed is not something that really excites me, so if you want to do it with Hollow I have no problems. I love you Orchid, but I prefer to love you in other ways."

"I see, thank you. It was something I needed to know."

Big had interpreted Orchid's words in an entirely different way than they really were, and his responses were also misunderstood, but at least this helped reassure her about provoking a dispute between the brothers, and at the same time led her to draw some interesting conclusions.

"There are many ways to love and love does not always imply sex" thought Orchid "Although I wonder if Big has ever been physically interested in someone, surely he could have anyone he wanted"

After that she did not worry about the issue anymore, she did not have the head for it either, dealing with her own pain was enough, but she tried to convince herself that little by little it would pass and that she would eventually love her life in that place, just as Sharpy or the Green Lands mantises did. If they could adapt, she could too, so she put all her effort into preparing for her new life in the castle.

"The training starts at 8 o'clock, but considering that the first hour is only warm-up, it would be nice if you arrive at 9, anyway tomorrow it will be just a small introduction so that you have an idea of what your duties will be from now onwards."