Chapter 18: Hatching

"Moon! No!"

The huge vessel was carrying a stack of dishes outside the mine barracks, despite the warnings from his friend Ren about not to do it. As a result, one of her long horns caught on the door, she lost her balance, and ended up breaking some dishes.

The guardian, sorry for what she had done, wanted to bend down to pick up the pieces, but when she did it, again she ended up hitting with her horns something she shouldn't have, this time a pillbug that was just coming out of the building. Before Moon continued her disasters, Ren came to her aid, ordered her to sit outside while he tended to the injured insect and sent another to pick up the broken dishes.

The somewhat angry and frustrated girl crossed her arms and did as she was asked. She knew she was clumsy, but she also wanted to help, even Hollow and Orchid were cooperating moving tables and chairs. And speaking of them, she observed that this pair got along quite well, right now Hollow was trying to teach sign language to her friend and she was doing her best to memorize the basic movements. She looked at them closely, they looked happy together, maybe they were be best friends, just as she was with Ren... Or maybe there was something else.

She walked up to them, seeking to attract attention, and when she reached their side, she dropped loudly, shaking the place. A couple of pebbles fell on top of them, but this time Orchid with a quick movement was able to knock it away. Then she turned to the knight who gave her a smile and a couple of thumbs up.

"It seems I'm just getting better." She did not want to make it notice but she was very proud of her achievement, Ren's advice had been very useful to her, and little by little she was putting them into practice.

Beside him meanwhile, Moon looked away annoyed. Hollow knew her, this was one of her subtle tantrums.

"(What's up Moon?)"

"(Nothing happens)"

"(Something happens to you)"

"(Maybe, but I'm not going to tell you)"

"(Come on, don't you trust your brother?)"

"(Well... Maybe if you bring me a sweet)"

Typical of Moon, always asking for sweets, sometimes they had to restrict access to them because of her excessive liking, but this time he would allow it. He got up and went to look for some, although not many, otherwise she would not want to eat from the barbecue they were preparing.

Moon's mood immediately changed as she thought of the sweets she could eat. She swayed gently in her place as a sign of her joy and then looked at Orchid, who did not seem very happy.

The mantis burned with jealousy, she could not understand the language of the vessels, only read her body language, and in the interaction between the two she saw a very close relationship that she did not like. She knew she had no right about Hollow, she knew there was no relationship to be upset with, but she couldn't help it. Moon looking at the mantis so annoyed wanted to ask what was going on, then she noticed that Hollow had left his whiteboard on a nearby table and took it, she supposed he wouldn't mind if she used it a bit.

"What's up Orchid?" She wrote in her elegant handwriting.

"Nothing," the mantis replied, turning her back on her.

This left Moon somewhat shocked, she used to do those little tantrums when she was frustrated, but it was not common someone to do them to her.

"Do you want a sweet?" She didn't mind giving her one of her goodies, but unlike her, Orchid was not going to fall for such a bribe.

Fortunately for Moon, Hollow returned soon, and the mantis' attitude did not go unnoticed by him.

"(What's wrong with Orchid?)" He asked his sister.