Chapter 10: Split Desires

One of Hollow's most notable qualities was his stubbornness, his tenacity had led him to defeat every opponent who had crossed his path. He never gave up on his crusade to free the world, and if he had been able to defeat a God, now he wouldn't give up on his goal of getting along with Orchid.

It had been a few hours since the mantis had kicked him out of her room, and he supposed she would have calmed down a bit. This time, trying to be more careful and polite with the female, he made sure to knock on the door to ask permission to enter. From the inside they said "come in", but there was something strange in the voice that spoke, it was a male voice.

He hurried in, wondering who would be with her.

Inside the room, he found Orchid asleep on her bed, he noticed that there were marks of dry tears on her face. But in contrast to that, she had an expression of complete peace and tranquility. She looked happier than he had ever seen her. That would have been fine, if it wasn't because that joy seemed to be caused by Big. The mantis had her head resting on his lap while he caressed her absently.

Hollow made an expression of disgust, he had worked so hard to gain the confidence of that mantis and in the end she ended up sticking to her brother. It was unfair!

With annoyance he approached both bugs and stared at them with an angry expression. Of course Big, being the only one awake, was the only one who noticed him, but he did not give it much importance and kept his usual calm and carefree attitude.

"Hello Hollow, I'm glad to see you. What brings you here?"

"(What the hell are you doing!)"

"I was making her sleep. The poor bug looked very exhausted and stressed, but I managed to calm her down. Look how she sleeps, nobody would think she is an expert predator, right?"

"(... Why ....)" Hollow looked very upset.

"Why what?"

"(Why is she asleep in your lap with such confidence and she doesn't let me even get close? How did you do it?)"

"Are you jealous?" The monarch said jokingly.

"(I don't know)" He looked away "(I don't think this is jealousy, it only bothers me that she fondles you before me, it seems unfair)" Big sighed.

"Hollow... Taking care of her properly does not mean giving her everything you think she needs, you have to give her what she really needs, and that's freeing her. The poor female is stressed and depressed in this place. I don't know much about mantis, but if they have isolated themselves in their kingdom it will be for something. Maybe they have needs that we don't understand. I know you have visited them and you know them a little better, but you have not chatted with them either, right?"

"(Actually, I can't ...)"

"Then you don't even know if you're doing the right thing with her, or if you can take care of her properly."

"(But... Hornet has talked to them! She knows them better, maybe she can talk to Orchid and ...)"

"Don't expect she to convince her to stay, Hollow. Look... We'll let Hornet talk to her, but if in the end the decision is that she should return to her homeland, you have to promise me that you'll let her leave. Understood?"

(I... Ok ... Whatever is best for Orchid)" he said resignedly.

"Perfect"

The huge vessel slid gently trying to stand up without waking the mantis, but she was asleep so deeply that in addition to growling and writhing a little, she showed no more reaction.

"(Well, let's go find Hornet now)"

"Sure, I have some questions to ask, apparently something bad happened to Quirrel and I'm worried."